M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

2014 Bluetec Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2022 | 11:59 AM

86 190E 2.3, 2014 ML350 Bluetec
2014 Bluetec Build

Hey guys, long time since I've been on these forums. I bought this truck back in 2017, it's been my daily for the longest time but with covid and being remote I finally have time to have some fun with it.

Mods so far:
TDI Tuning Box: 330HP, 530 FT LB
Sprint Booster: Throttle response control (a must on these tuned down diesels)
Custom Catch Can
Sequential Mirror Turn Signals
21" OEM AMG Wheels
Illuminated MB Logo
Integrated Dashcam
Added Alpine Amp + 2 12" Subs to factory HK system

Here's how I bought it with 19's:

Sitting beside the car that brought me into the whole MB game, 1986 190E 2.3:

It's even seen a little tow action:

I bought the truck used at 156k km on the dash so the paint was not in great condition with rock chips, dents, etc. It got into a minor rear-end collision last year, but since it doesn't have to battle the fierce 401 anymore I decided to do a full respray to bring it back to its former glory:

After that, I sourced some 21"x10" OEM AMG wheels. These came off a GL so the tire size is actually incorrect for the time being. Currently sitting on 295/40/21, I don't have Airmatic so unfortunately I can't adjust the ride height that easily (but at least it's reliable haha). Next summer I'll be getting the correct 295/35 tires along with refinishing them in gloss black with a polished lip:

ET is also a bit aggressive, so I've ordered some GLE 63S replica fenders from CKM to give it a cleaner "oem" look.

Sequential turn signal mirrors installed, pretty terrifying trying to get this mirror apart but I was successful:

Video of them in action:
https://photos.app.*******/nLyUes9fVYCuFPkVA

Illuminated MB Star installed, at first I didn't like these but it started to grow on me:

Integrated rearview mirror Dashcam, the camera is great but getting content off of it has been a bit sketchy:

Alpine MRV-500 under the rear seat and two 12" Cerwin Vegas make a solid improvement to the already great Harmon Kardon system:

Once I started getting into my own maintenance I realized the oil / PCV issue with oil being sucked into the turbo. So I decided to build a nice catch can setup, it does help but I think I will still need to replace the PCV valve at some point soon:

with working remotely, the truck has been sitting for weeks at a time in negative degree weather so the 8-year-old battery was starting to show its age. Replaced with an Interstate AGM, back to starting on a dime even in -12 degree weather.

Currently, it sits at 216,000km and while there have been some inconveniences (ahem, Nox sensors) it's been pretty reliable with nothing major other than regular maintenance which I keep a keen eye on.

Maintenance so far:
Both Nox Sensors (of course) at around 160k
DPF Temp Sensor
Trans Cooler lines and thermostat replaced because of a leak
Liqui Moly oil changes wayyy ahead of their time
Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive every couple fill-ups
Trans Fluid changed at 100k (by previous owner) another change at 200k

I'm definitely looking to do an EGR / DPF / SCR delete in the future and I'm very keen on trying to take apart the intake manifold and clean the infamous diesel carbon once I can build up the knowledge / courage to do so.

Cheers!