M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

D1S HID Bulb Installation Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2023 | 09:42 AM

2014 ML 350 4Matic
D1S HID Bulb Installation Question

Hello everyone. Long time 2014 ML350 4MATIC owner and it's been a great vehicle overall. I just joined this forum and I believe this is my first post.

I had one of my D1S headlight bulbs go out (confirmed this by switching the bulbs to verify it was just the bulb) so I ordered some Hella bulbs from RockAuto (on the way). I'm not 100% sure about the Hella bulb which you can find at the link below, but I'm open to opinions on this brand. Anyways, the main reason I'm posting is because I was able to get the bulbs out fairly easy, but getting the bulbs back in and turning them to lock them in has proved to be difficult. I can get the bulb to go in the hole and line up (I think), but getting it twisted and locked in isn't going well. I do have large hands which makes it tougher to work in the tight space. Does anyone have any tips? Do you normally connect the cable before or after you lock the bulb in place? Do you normally just turn the wheel to the left or right to get clearance or do you jack up the front or remove the wheel? Thanks in advance! Sean

Bulb link from RockAuto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=11701&jsn=26
Old 01-17-2023 | 11:21 AM

2014 ML 350 4Matic
Hi everyone. I believe the bulbs are being delivered today, and I was hoping maybe someone had some feedback on the above questions regarding the bulbs being hard to install with the twist and lock. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2023 | 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 ML350 Bluetec
jacking the car up and removing the front wheels will certainly make it easier to play in the wheel well.
If there are any rubber (silicone?) o-rings present I'd lightly grease them with silicone grease and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean prior to trying to install.
Other than that, take your time and make sure to observe where wires/fasteners/whatever else properly go so there's no pinched wires or other stupid, avoidable mistakes. I am a big fan of using a camera during disassembly. Digital photography has allowed me to go places I've never before dreamed of (like replacing head gaskets) and feeling secure that I'd be able to back out of whatever I dove into.
Old 01-20-2023 | 02:07 PM

2014 ML 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by rapidoxidation
jacking the car up and removing the front wheels will certainly make it easier to play in the wheel well.
If there are any rubber (silicone?) o-rings present I'd lightly grease them with silicone grease and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean prior to trying to install.
Other than that, take your time and make sure to observe where wires/fasteners/whatever else properly go so there's no pinched wires or other stupid, avoidable mistakes. I am a big fan of using a camera during disassembly. Digital photography has allowed me to go places I've never before dreamed of (like replacing head gaskets) and feeling secure that I'd be able to back out of whatever I dove into.
thanks for your reply. The new Hella lights came in and the installation including the twist and lock went much smoother than the original ones. I did jack the front side up which gave me a little bit more room but these lights just locked in easier for some reason. Thanks again and I will report back if I have any issues with the rockauto hella d1s bulbs which were only about $40 delivered a piece. Time will tell.
The following users liked this post:
eddieo45 (01-20-2023)
Old 01-20-2023 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by sclawrenc
thanks for your reply. The new Hella lights came in and the installation including the twist and lock went much smoother than the original ones. I did jack the front side up which gave me a little bit more room but these lights just locked in easier for some reason. Thanks again and I will report back if I have any issues with the rockauto hella d1s bulbs which were only about $40 delivered a piece. Time will tell.
take any before/after pics??