M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

knocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2023 | 04:54 PM

Ml w166.
knocks

ML w166 knocks when adding gas as in the video. What could it be ?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0055 3.mov (6.73 MB, 23 views)
Old 04-10-2023 | 10:27 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Strange. I ve never check this as I always have my engine off when refueling .
Old 04-11-2023 | 12:28 PM
bha

13 GL350, 14 SL550
Originally Posted by sajanos.
ML w166 knocks when adding gas as in the video. What could it be ?
By "adding gas" he means accelerating, not adding fuel to the tank.

It doesn't sound engine related to me because a) it only happens one time every time you hit the accelerator, and b) it doesn't keep happening (like a ticking, whining, or other ongoing noise). It also doesn't get louder/faster with RPM.

My guess is exhaust. When you hit the gas, the exhaust moves and it bangs on something.

Get under the truck (when it is cold so you don't burn yourself!), grab the muffler/exhaust pipe and try to swing it side to side, also try moving it up and down. See if you can get it to bang on anything. With the rubber hangers, it really shouldn't easily touch anything at all.

I think you have a broken hanger or bent pipe and it's hitting something.

You can also try putting a glove on, hold the exhaust tip firmly, and have someone rev the engine. See if the noise goes away when you're holding the exhaust.
Old 04-11-2023 | 01:00 PM

Ml w166.
yes, it only happens once and at these revs. I'll check it tomorrow, maybe it's actually like you wrote.
Thank you for your help

Originally Posted by bha
By "adding gas" he means accelerating, not adding fuel to the tank.

It doesn't sound engine related to me because a) it only happens one time every time you hit the accelerator, and b) it doesn't keep happening (like a ticking, whining, or other ongoing noise). It also doesn't get louder/faster with RPM.

My guess is exhaust. When you hit the gas, the exhaust moves and it bangs on something.

Get under the truck (when it is cold so you don't burn yourself!), grab the muffler/exhaust pipe and try to swing it side to side, also try moving it up and down. See if you can get it to bang on anything. With the rubber hangers, it really shouldn't easily touch anything at all.

I think you have a broken hanger or bent pipe and it's hitting something.

You can also try putting a glove on, hold the exhaust tip firmly, and have someone rev the engine. See if the noise goes away when you're holding the exhaust.