Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 ML350
2014 ML350 Rear Lift Gate Issue

Problem Statement:
2014 ML350 @ 120K miles

I replaced my power motor strut used from ebay(due to the original one completely failing for the rear hatch). For all purposes it was functional with the occasional intermittently not closing all the way down before automatically going back to the open position.

I took it to my local independent shop for regular oil change and asked if they could give it a go for normalizing and reteach the lift gate. They hit a road block and explained that their scan tool could not teach it.
However in doing so it reset or zero'ed out whatever the saved positions for the lift gate, now only functions by manual lift/close and lock/unlock. The regrettably suggest that I made need to go to dealer to investigate or reset it.

I went to another local shop and they could not get it either(no charge), and suggested it could be the module or my used powered strut or go to dealer.

Dealer charged me $250 for their Xentry diagnostic.

They reported that they were able to open and close using their scan tool manually commanding it to do so, but however unable to teach it.

They did not see any issue with the module and working fine. They suggested that the issue could be my used part I installed not giving out the correct voltage and quoted $1500(no thanks).

So I basically wasted $250 at the stealer-ship., and I shoulda just ordered a new motor strut originally.

My question:
I wanted to ask whether I should order a another used module?
My thoughts are if the module came off another used ml350, that it would still still have its positions already saved on that lift gate module and it would cost me $100, (free 30day return from ebay(buyer ship cost)).

I don't know if it will work or it doesn't matter I would still have to take to a shop/dealer to get it normalized again.

Or Just order the new power motor strut ($350+) take it to my independent to get it normalized for less than the dealer.($100+)?

My 2nd Amendment friends made the most sense suggested I save it for ammo or a firearm. And live with manually opening/closing the tail gate

Appreciate any feedback, thanks

Old 05-06-2024, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 485 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
My $.02: Used parts are a bad idea. Buy once, cry once, done.
If your original strut was opening properly but not consistently closing, I'd be connecting a computer to try to find out why before buying any parts.

Last edited by rapidoxidation; 05-06-2024 at 04:43 PM.