M-Class (W166) Produced 2012-2015

'18 GLE questions on Retrofits: Distrionic, Armrest pass-through, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W166 GLE 350
'18 GLE questions on Retrofits: Distrionic, Armrest pass-through, etc.

Hi, new to the forum and happy original owner of a '18 GLE 350 for a good few years now, it's been rock solid both off-road and in terms of reliability. When I purchased the vehicle, I didn't opt for the premium 2 pkg as I did not care for the ambient lighting or sunshades, likewise didn't opt for the premium 3 pkg because it was quite pricey and I didn't need much of it.

Now after a good few years I was looking to upgrade my GLE to a newer model but opted against it as the 167 doesn't have the same level of fit/finish and capability as my current vehicle. However, felt I could spend a bit and retrofit the few options I was missing at the time. If someone could kindly give an opinion on whether the following packages are available for retrofit and their respective cost, I would be forever grateful.
  • distrionic plus with steering, brake assist, etc.
  • illuminated door sills (no ambient lighting)
  • heated/cooled front cupholders
  • rear armrest pass through

For reference my vehicle already has the Parking Assist package and Blind-Spot/Lane-Keep assist, so most of the hardware for distrionic should already be there I assume. I am willing to do all the work myself, so it would just be cost of parts.

Additionally, is it worth retrofitting the LED headlights? I find the current headlights good enough, the LED system certainly looks nicer but I'm not sure if its a ~$2k upgrade

Lastly, is it possible to use the trackpad in CarPlay? Currently it only uses the knob which is quite annoying.

Thank you for all of the help in advance