M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M156 technical data (advanced)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 BMW 530XD, 92 Lotus Omega, 53 Ford F-100
M156 technical data (advanced)

I'd like to put a M156 in a '53 Ford F-100. I can't see any engine in the market as of today with a better potential to be a street driven beast to put in a hotrod if the requirements are V8, 4-valve technology and fuel economy. The tremendous torque curve also kills any BMW engine considerations totally.

So, I haven't sourced an engine yet but do anyone of you have some of the following data:

x Rod length and width
x Crankshaft journal diameters (rod and main)
x Piston compression height
x Deck height
x Bore spacing (is 109mm correct?)
x Combustion chamber CC
x Head gasket thickness
x Dimensions of the engine (length, width, height etc). How does it compare in size vs for example Chevy SB?
x Is it room for stroking the crank?
x Is the oil pan a complex design or is it farily easy to fabricate a new one if needed? I assume the M156 is a wet sump engine?
x List of all ancillaries on a complete M156 engine?

I see camshafts are extremely expensive on the aftermarket. Have anyone tried to regrind the OEM cams?

Is there any company offering a stroker crank for this engine? I'm thinking steel sleeves at 103-104mm bore and a 102mm crank putting out 6,9+ liters.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by adaptec
I'd like to put a M156 in a '53 Ford F-100. I can't see any engine in the market as of today with a better potential to be a street driven beast to put in a hotrod if the requirements are V8, 4-valve technology and fuel economy. The tremendous torque curve also kills any BMW engine considerations totally.

So, I haven't sourced an engine yet but do anyone of you have some of the following data:

x Rod length and width
x Crankshaft journal diameters (rod and main)
x Piston compression height
x Deck height
x Bore spacing (is 109mm correct?)
x Combustion chamber CC
x Head gasket thickness
x Dimensions of the engine (length, width, height etc). How does it compare in size vs for example Chevy SB?
x Is it room for stroking the crank?
x Is the oil pan a complex design or is it farily easy to fabricate a new one if needed? I assume the M156 is a wet sump engine?
x List of all ancillaries on a complete M156 engine?

I see camshafts are extremely expensive on the aftermarket. Have anyone tried to regrind the OEM cams?

Is there any company offering a stroker crank for this engine? I'm thinking steel sleeves at 103-104mm bore and a 102mm crank putting out 6,9+ liters.
With tried and true superchargers available for this engine that produce upwards of 800 HP, why would you bother with the fairly impossible task of finding a stroked crank. All the engine internals are pretty hi-tech and not too easy to find substitutes for.

If you've missed it, here's some tech info on the engine's design:
http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html

Here's are some components that are available, plus supercharger kits:
http://www.weistec.com/m156.html
Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 BMW 530XD, 92 Lotus Omega, 53 Ford F-100
Originally Posted by whoover
With tried and true superchargers available for this engine that produce upwards of 800 HP, why would you bother with the fairly impossible task of finding a stroked crank.
Because I'd like a supercharged stroked engine pushing more than 800...

All the engine internals are pretty hi-tech and not too easy to find substitutes for.
Well, piston and rods are an easy task to source, same goes for steel liners. Custom billet crank is possible at $3500-4000 from UK. I assume valve train are good enough as it is and a regrind of the OEM cams should run about $650 each cam here in Norway. Head gaskets are MLS from factory and 245,000psi head studs do I make my self. Then I'll hook up an aftermarket EMS on it and a supercharger. It's not rocket science even though it's an AMG engine.

If you've missed it, here's some tech info on the engine's design:
http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html

Here's are some components that are available, plus supercharger kits:
http://www.weistec.com/m156.html
Have read both articles, thanks.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by adaptec
Because I'd like a supercharged stroked engine pushing more than 800...

Well, piston and rods are an easy task to source, same goes for steel liners. Custom billet crank is possible at $3500-4000 from UK. I assume valve train are good enough as it is and a regrind of the OEM cams should run about $650 each cam here in Norway. Head gaskets are MLS from factory and 245,000psi head studs do I make my self. Then I'll hook up an aftermarket EMS on it and a supercharger. It's not rocket science even though it's an AMG engine.

Have read both articles, thanks.
Have at it. But make sure you do your research. The M156 doesn't have conventional liners, for instance. It uses twin-wire arc spray (Nanoglide) to deposit a mirror-finish layer of iron directly on the aluminum cylinder. I suppose you could old-school sleeve the cylinders but that will greatly increase friction and probably burn the engine up at 7,000+ RPM. But with a big enough budget and time for trial and error, I'm sure you can get to 6.9.