M156 V8 Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M156 V8 6.2L engine. Including SL63 AMG, CL63 AMG, S63 AMG, E63 AMG, CLS63 AMG, C63 AMG, CLL63 AMG, ML63 AMG, R63 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter, Tran Module, Valve Soliniod???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
Cool Torque Converter, Tran Module, Valve Soliniod???

I'm getting ready to do a Rear Main Seal fix, and has been recommended by others here is to renew or upgrade the Torque Converter while one is in there. However, I have the M156 NA 07' E63 so as far as upgrading to high stall is concerned, I'm not so sure if it would be comfortable driving around town? Don't get me wrong, I'm forever in Sport Mode and almost always engage the paddle shifters initially by downshifting to lock it in Gear and adjust from there. And I might add that after the front suspension and top end engine rebuild I initiated within a week of buying her which took me over 6 months to finish, she performs and sounds beautifully!!

So while I would appreciate any debate on whether upgrading the TC would be a major benefit, the issue that I have noticed when stomping on it, say crossing across a lane of traffic to make a left turn in front of oncoming traffic, is when I suddenly take my foot of the pedal to break, it feels like the Torque Converter takes a moment too long to unwind from lock-up and the result is an audible release that is also felt. I would not go far to say that it "bangs" but something "not right" is going on in this type of situation that, although can be avoidable, would rear its ugly head often if I were to race a short track course, for example. As such, I'm not exactly sure if it is the Torque Converter at fault or if it may be an issue with the Electrohydrolic Control Module itself or perhaps its specific components such as any one of the 3 rpm sensors or various valves. On the other hand, stomping on it in a situation as described may be normal? And if that is something that can be avoided, say by setting it in 3rd before take off, any fast break will result in going from higher rpm's to lower as compared to taking off normally by flooring it in D and then applying brakes right when "Sport Mode" determines the shift is to change to 4th Gear which results in the previously described "pseudo-bang"! Being I don't want to swap it just to swap it when all is operating normally, which, when devoid of the avoidable situation described, translates to an awesome driving experience!! To bust the move or not, that is the question knowing that after a 100k mi, the TC may be on its last legs???

Bottom line, I may opt for a rebuilt stock TC unless a case can be made for high stall TC, but since I can manually shift whilst in "Sport-Mode" at speed on the highway, I'm not sure of the real need. I am NOT interested in laying Rubber from a dead start after all. As for symptoms I'm experiencing, I'd appreciate any helpful insight from those who have tackled similar issues!

Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by E63007; 04-24-2023 at 09:29 AM.