M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MKB Tunes the 65 AMG engine : Explanations Needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
MKB Tunes the 65 AMG engine : Explanations Needed.

Hi folks. I just read an article in a MB related magazine about a new package offered by the German Tuner MKB for the 65 AMG engine.

Some Technical features are diificult to understand for me.

Here are some sentences from the article that I copied here.

"To lower the charge air temperature and keep it down we used a second intercooler with the same thermal capacity as the primary one"

"If you put two intercoolers in series you will see a significant pressure drop and that is not a good thing so we use a parallel arrangement with ONE FOR EACH TURBO"

That doesn't make any sense to me. On the pic you can clearly see a stock CF engine cover, so the intercoolers are stock.

I'm pretty sure they confused "intercooler" with "heat exchanger"

In this case it makes more sense, and the sentence "with ONE FOR EACH TURBO" probably means that each intercooler has a dedicated heat exchanger

I don't see any other explanation

V12 Mafia (Jay,V12godspeed, marcus frost, marko and more)

Your always interesting highlilights are greatly welcome.

That's all for today. I have more questions about their custom IHI turbos but I'll solve the "intercooler mystery" first

Here is the article.
Attached Thumbnails MKB Tunes the 65 AMG engine : Explanations Needed.-page_02.jpg   MKB Tunes the 65 AMG engine : Explanations Needed.-page_03.jpg   MKB Tunes the 65 AMG engine : Explanations Needed.-page_04.jpg  

Last edited by DCMETRO22Z; 10-26-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
FYI the president of MKB/NA is accessible by email, I have chatted with him before about a project. I dont want to guess without knowing the kit specifically. That being said only an intercooler will cause a pressure drop not a heat exchanger. Its possible they devised something to fit under the engine cover, that I dont know. A second heat exchanger would cause a drop in IC fluid flow rate but it wont interfere with boost/pressure.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
FYI the president of MKB/NA is accessible by email, I have chatted with him before about a project. I dont want to guess without knowing the kit specifically. That being said only an intercooler will cause a pressure drop not a heat exchanger. Its possible they devised something to fit under the engine cover, that I dont know. A second heat exchanger would cause a drop in IC fluid flow rate but it wont interfere with boost/pressure.
Thanks jay.

I suggest to change your Username to "DoctorV12TT"

BTW, I still wonder how they managed to put another intercooler while keeping the stock engine cover... Curious. There's absolutely no space to do so. Brabus and Vrp had to remove the stock airboxes to gain enough place to put additional/bigger intercoolaz.

Last edited by DCMETRO22Z; 10-26-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
I understand the pressure drop point, but could that be supplemented with Boost increase? Take VRP's kit for example, they are expanding the IC's but also increasing boost to 28 PSI. wouldn't that increase help in boost drop, kind of negates making turbo's run cooler and more efficiently. Just thinking out loud.