M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trapping High 130's

Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 S500 Sport
Trapping High 130's

I'm surprised the E55's trapping already 135 from their V8 Kompressor.

What the hell no one can get this massive TWIN-TURBO animal to get around 140?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Gondon

ask yourself this question: "How many E55's are really trapping over 130mph without NOS?"
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
You think the guy who ran 10.76 I think at 135 is spraying?

I'm comparing fastest E55 to fastest V12 TT trap.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
You think the guy who ran 10.76 I think at 135 is spraying?

I'm comparing fastest E55 to fastest V12 TT trap.
Thats not what Im saying at all....my point is that there is only one E55 trapping over 130, all of the other are spraying.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

02 S500 Sport
Ok, but besides that are there any aspirations to try get High 130's. Even a Low 140? I know its almost 5000 pound car but the IMO the V12TT should be the king of the road ! I'm not saying its not as of right now. I have a massive amount of respect for that engine. But VRP825 didnt get the job done to hold the record trap.

Can it be done?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
Thats not what Im saying at all....my point is that there is only one E55 trapping over 130, all of the other are spraying.
+ one, have to look at the average, not one car at one track..

It seems that even the 65 V12`s run out of air after the 8th mile.. All the cooling mods and tunes are nice but the motor was designed to move the weight.. Low to mid brutal TQ! IMO, the throttle body is to small, cams may be too and down pipes may also be desinged for low to mid range power..

Most of the V12`s are really fast at the 8th mile but final trap is low.. It may just be a couple of small changes to get that 130mph.. At 130mph, it will ET better than any benz on the planet!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
The turbos on the V12's are too small..until that issue is taken care of it will be tough to trap 135+, think about this... how many mods it took the E55 to trap 130??...a lot right? now, spend some time and energy into producing some mods for the V12 and you might get a 135+ trap.

The V12 ONLY has a tune and a set of intercoolers!!! Now add upgraded turbos (intake and exhaust wheels), better throtle body and a few other goodies, you got yourself a 4600+lb whale trapping 135+...that's my take.

Not to mention the E55 is significantly lighter.

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 12-16-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
The turbos on the V12's are too small..until that issue is taken care of it will be tough to trap 135+, think about this... how many mods it took the E55 to trap 130??...a lot right? now, spend some time and energy into producing some mods for the V12 and you might get a 135+ trap.

The V12 ONLY has a tune and a set of intercoolers!!! Now add upgraded turbos (intake and exhaust wheels), better throtle body and a few other goodies, you got yourself a 4600+lb whale trapping 135+...that's my take.

+1

The V12's are very restricted as far as exhaust side of the manifold. Marcin is working on a solution right now. If my calculations are correct, 140 mph should be attainable at any track and without nitrous. This involves different turbos and manifolds however. Don't know how the transmission will respond to that power level.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
+1

The V12's are very restricted as far as exhaust side of the manifold. Marcin is working on a solution right now. If my calculations are correct, 140 mph should be attainable at any track and without nitrous. This involves different turbos and manifolds however. Don't know how the transmission will respond to that power level.
+2 and an AMEN.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
Has anyone seen upgraded turbine wheels for the stock turbo's? It looks like there is very little room in the housing to get much bigger. If memory serves the turbos are the same size as the 911 twin turbos, so there should be some upgrades available, possibly???

Marko, I think your aproach of a new turbo and manifold combination is right on target. The flow charachteristics of the stock manifolds has to be terrible.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by Flight Test
Has anyone seen upgraded turbine wheels for the stock turbo's? It looks like there is very little room in the housing to get much bigger. If memory serves the turbos are the same size as the 911 twin turbos, so there should be some upgrades available, possibly???

Marko, I think your aproach of a new turbo and manifold combination is right on target. The flow charachteristics of the stock manifolds has to be terrible.

The exhaust housing is cast into the manifold. It would be very difficult to machine it for larger wheels. The merge section (where all the runners collide before entering into turbine housing) has a diameter of less than 2". That's right, 6 cylinders discharge exhaust into an diameter of approx 1.75 inches. As far as the "cold" side, the compressor housing is small already and you would run the risk of compressor surge should you install a wheel too large for the housing. Keep in mind that these things spool instantly. I think there is power to be had with the stock turbos with a properly flowing manifold. But then if you're going that far, you might as well go all the way.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
But then if you're going that far, you might as well go all the way.
I am sure you know what's under my skin...

At this point it gets blurry as there is not much space under the hood, unless you make some
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 213 Posts
there is another thing - 140mph is 4th gear... as there are only 5 gears the car is geared very tall and once in 4th (and even more so 5th) the thing almost falls on its face... relatively speaking that is

thus my thinking is that a shorter rearend might provide formidable results... i would for one would gladly trade some top speed for some better acceleration up to 160 or so...

alex
few cars
Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG

My car trapped 135.6 at Sacramento raceway a couple of weeks ago with a 10.77 ET. I wouldn't take too much stock in what my car traps until I get it to a different track on a DA similar day. Either way I'm very confident my car is trapping over 130 at any track with similar DA. My main concern is ET and 60' times. I also hit 6.95 @ 103.2 in the 1/8 mile.

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
+ one, have to look at the average, not one car at one track.
. Totally agree with you Brooke.

There's a reason why some of these tracks like Sacramento and MIR holds records, plain and simple they are much faster and quicker than most. Sacramento is known for it's outrageously high traps and MIR for their excellent track prep and low ET's. I haven't raced at a ton of different tracks but enough to know that I'm lucky to have a sea level track near by that will give me chances to race in negative DA. I honestly believe if some of the other fast cars out there had a chance to race at either track or similar DA they too would have the chance at breaking records...no doubt. Unfortunately a lot of people won't have this chance which in turn means that record setting runs will be unlikely.

There's no doubt the twin snails will be faster and quicker than the E55's, they should be. I'm surprised no one has figured out ways of upgrading the turbos yet, once that's done....game over .

BTW... a lot of trial and error went into my car but the end result has made me very happy. I've only had my car for over a year and I'm very proud of my accomplishments on this platform.

I look forward to seeing your car run Jody !

Last edited by bassn_07; 12-26-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by bassn_07
There's no doubt the twin snails will be faster and quicker than the E55's, they should be. I'm surprised no one has figured out ways of upgrading the turbos yet, once that's done....game over .

BTW... a lot of trial and error went into my car but the end result has made me very happy. I've only had my car for over a year and I'm very proud of my accomplishments on this platform.

I look forward to seeing your car run Jody !
Your car is an animal man, and it shows by all the hard work you have put in it. I take nothing away from it.

My car...I could only wish it would be as fast as yours.. : time will tell.

In terms of the snails Marcin might be working on something for it, too bad I sold my 65, won't see much of the benefit.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Your car is an animal man, and it shows by all the hard work you have put in it. I take nothing away from it.

My car...I could only wish it would be as fast as yours.. : time will tell.

In terms of the snails Marcin might be working on something for it, too bad I sold my 65, won't see much of the benefit.
Thanks Jody I'm glad a few of you guys could still appreciate the beauty of it like true enthusiast should. I always enjoy your post in my threads, always positive without all the trap bs that so many care about.

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing when I watched your 65 go 10.72 @ 128...over and over again. The benz might be going bye bye pretty soon anyways, it's like 30% - 70% in favor of me keeping it.

BTW....there's a guy from LA selling stock 65 turbos because he upgraded. Maybe you guys should look into speaking with this guy if you already haven't. Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
+1

I'm glad someones building manifolds for these things, that definitely the weak link (turbos/manifold). The turbos are too small for an engine that size and cant flow enough on the top end. Theres not much room in that engine bay though. Put a massive down pipe on it too lol

Last edited by blackbenzz; 12-29-2009 at 11:19 PM.