M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the differences between a sl600 engine and sl65 engine

Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is570t(is300, ls1, turbo)
what are the differences between a sl600 engine and sl65 engine

hello all. first post and i am considering a sl600 or sl65 and was wondering the differences between the motors and i suppose the cars too. i plan on modding the thing and if one motor is ready to hold a lot more power than the other i would like to know.

i know the sl600 has 5.5L vs the 6.0 of the amg. beyond that it gets a little foggy.i have seen mention of larger turbos and injectors on the 65 but cant confirm it. does the sl600 engine have oil squirters under the pistons? does one motor have better rods or pistons or crank or anything?

now on to the rest of the car.

i have the impression the sl65 has a limited slip rear end and the sl600 does not?

do they have the same brakes?

any info would help. a sl600 is a lot less money and i am trying to figure out of the 65 is worth the extra money.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Here you go:

Such as this CL65 AMG. Fitted with a bored-and-stroked high-pressure-turbocharged version of the V-12 engine found in the stock CL600, the coupe produces 604 horsepower and a rib-cage-flattening 738 pound-feet of torque between 2000 and 4000 rpm. Expressed in metric terms, the torque output is a round 1000 newton-meters of drivetrain-twisting force.
The really funny part of all of this is that the output had to be reduced somewhat in the interest of transmission life. There is another 200 or so newton-meters to be had here, and the aftermarket loonies will undoubtedly go looking for it. But Mercedes-Benz will not warrant that kind of exploration, even though this AMG car is covered by the Mercedes warranty with no transmission upgrades beyond new clutch discs and revised control logic. There are, however, beefed-up driveshafts and hubs farther downstream.
To get this kind of urge, AMG increased the cylinder bore by 0.6 millimeter and lengthened the stroke by six, ending up with 5980cc of engine displacement. AMG-spec forged pistons with thicker wrist pins fit inside the new holes, where they are cooled by an upgraded oil-spray system.
The combustion chambers were reshaped for a 9.0:1 compression ratio, and the intake camshafts have higher lift and longer dwell. Both turbochargers have larger housings and wheels and pump nearly 22 pounds of boost via a front-mounted air-to-water intercooler that is about 70 percent larger than the stock item.
According to AMG engineers, this results in a 25-percent reduction in intake-air temperature at full load. Naturally, the electronic engine-management system had to be reconfigured for every aspect of operation, including those revised waste-gate pop-off parameters. A redesigned aluminum and carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastic engine cover enlightens any bystanders who somehow have missed the prominent AMG and V-12 biturbo badges adorning the bodywork.

R.K.
The following users liked this post:
MB-CLS500 (04-27-2016)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M109R
Originally Posted by radride
Here you go:

Such as this CL65 AMG. Fitted with a bored-and-stroked high-pressure-turbocharged version of the V-12 engine found in the stock CL600, the coupe produces 604 horsepower and a rib-cage-flattening 738 pound-feet of torque between 2000 and 4000 rpm. Expressed in metric terms, the torque output is a round 1000 newton-meters of drivetrain-twisting force.
The really funny part of all of this is that the output had to be reduced somewhat in the interest of transmission life. There is another 200 or so newton-meters to be had here, and the aftermarket loonies will undoubtedly go looking for it. But Mercedes-Benz will not warrant that kind of exploration, even though this AMG car is covered by the Mercedes warranty with no transmission upgrades beyond new clutch discs and revised control logic. There are, however, beefed-up driveshafts and hubs farther downstream.
To get this kind of urge, AMG increased the cylinder bore by 0.6 millimeter and lengthened the stroke by six, ending up with 5980cc of engine displacement. AMG-spec forged pistons with thicker wrist pins fit inside the new holes, where they are cooled by an upgraded oil-spray system.
The combustion chambers were reshaped for a 9.0:1 compression ratio, and the intake camshafts have higher lift and longer dwell. Both turbochargers have larger housings and wheels and pump nearly 22 pounds of boost via a front-mounted air-to-water intercooler that is about 70 percent larger than the stock item.
According to AMG engineers, this results in a 25-percent reduction in intake-air temperature at full load. Naturally, the electronic engine-management system had to be reconfigured for every aspect of operation, including those revised waste-gate pop-off parameters. A redesigned aluminum and carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastic engine cover enlightens any bystanders who somehow have missed the prominent AMG and V-12 biturbo badges adorning the bodywork.

R.K.

Just for the sake of acknowledging your outstanding response...wow..

These details are hard to come by. How did you learn about this...if you don't me asking?
Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CL600 W216
Originally Posted by radride
Here you go:

and the intake camshafts have higher lift and longer dwell.

R.K.
I know it 3 years old post but. This question bothers me everyday and I cant find the answer anywhere I have cl600. So Can you intall 65 cams on 600 and benefit from it?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 S600
Originally Posted by MB-CLS500
I know it 3 years old post but. This question bothers me everyday and I cant find the answer anywhere I have cl600. So Can you intall 65 cams on 600 and benefit from it?
I have heard it both ways, that they are the same cam, and that they are different. Don't know which is true.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
They definately are different, I experienced tuning in midrange is better with the 65 than with the 600. I am not sure if a change is worth it for max.HP at high RPMs. There are other options to gain more power for less money and labour costs.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 09-07-2016 at 02:37 AM.