M275 V12 Bi-Turbo Platform Technical discussion relating to models sharing the M275 V12 Bi-Turbo (V12 TT). Including SL600, SL65 AMG, CL600, CL65 AMG, S600, S65 AMG.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my 80K miles tuneup/repair/refresh 05 SL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Starting my 80K miles tuneup/repair/refresh 05 SL600

I bought this car a year ago, when i first got it i had to replace a lot of ABC hoses to get it up and running, it's seen 8,000 hard, rough miles by how i drive. So far the ABC is running flawlessly, *knock on wood* but now i need to tackle other problems.

1. There is a coolant leak somewhere on the passenger side, i suspect it's coming from the coolant line to the turbo, i don't see puddles on the floor but i see spattered dried coolant right above the turbo area, accompanied by coolant smell entering the cabin.

2. Car misfired a couple times a couple months ago, turned off the car and turned it back on made it go away. Hasn't misfired again in a 1000 miles now.

3. Lots of creaks and rattles when the body flexes, esp in the cold weather, i'm trying to track down and eliminate whatever i can.

4. UCA seems to be making squeaking noises while slowly going over bumps.

5. Water sloshing sound very audible in the front dash area while idling at start up, seems to go away when the car is warmed up.

6. When it's really cold out, under 20F, the radio doesn't work, all i get is loud static. Goes away when weather is warmer.

So the plan is to change all 24 spark plugs, while doing plugs i'll take a look at the turbo coolant seals and see if they're bad, flush the ABC system and replace filter with 3micron filter, inspect the intercooler circuit, might just replace the pump as well and try to find a way to bleed it. Inspect/replace UCA, drop the transmission pan and change filter, fluid, seals etc.

What else do you guys recommend for 80K miles? Just fix the things that need fixing, if it ain't broke leave it alone?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sl600
Loving the rear man, is that a custom paint, did you do all the body work.

I'm looking to get some wheels like that

I'm pushing almost 160k and i daily drive mines so you got plenty of life in yours

things i need to look into

making a perfect intercooling system

some times when car off the front passenger side slumps down to car low Waring light, but the crazy thing about some times it happens in 15mins sometimes i can leave the car parked for a couple days and it maintain height ( so hopefull a full abc flush fixed that) sounds like a stuck valve

leaks a qt of oil after 1500-2k miles not really sure where (hoping its the pan gasket)

Ignition switch, dealer said i need to replace since key was replaced, my SRS light might be related not too sure but been on since my key was replaced

And just do maintenance where needed, im change my plugs next year since i did it last year (every 2 years)

And lots of mods (maybe 700hp and a blackseries kit)
The following users liked this post:
FxFormat (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
That's just a satin white pearl wrap i did myself, those wheels are Vertini, i like them, have had no issues with it. i have an oil leak in the front somewhere after replacing the water pump, not sure if that had anything to do with it, just been lazy to pull everything off to check, already replaced the front main seal.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'06 W220 S600, '92 190e
Great looking car! I'm somewhat in the same boat with my 214,000 km S600 getting ready to do what needs to be done at this point in it's life. I too have coolant residue from what appears to be a weak turbo coolant line o-ring. I also have some minor weepage from the engine valley area and rear main. That said I'll be pulling my engine this winter for a complete re-seal considering that the heads need to come off to address the valley leak. Yes it's always the question of how far one goes with these older cars... Being able to do the work oneself certainly makes all the difference.

As for your sloshing sound there's a heater core tsb. Not sure if it applies to your car or not.

When you replace your plugs be sure to have new silicone insulators on hand as well as the special grease/lube. I found Rock-Auto to have the best deal on the OE plugs btw. Valve cover gaskets might be good to do while you're in there too.

Good luck!