Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch wiring to feed LED backup light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Trailer hitch wiring to feed LED backup light

Posting here for a broader audience. 2014 ML350 with a hitch. Normal backup lighting is abysmal. Photo below. Lots of LED lights available to supplement. I want to wire via the hitch. Would rather not tap into the wiring beyond the socket. I tried to use alligator clips to test out an LED and a 12 volt bulb without success. According to the hitch socket cover, the center pin is power for backup lights. There are 6 blades at clock positions 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11. Again, according to the cover, the 7 o'clock position is the ground. In both tests, my wife put the ML in reverse. The normal backup lights lit up, but the test bulbs didn't. Any ideas? Am I on the wrong blade for the ground? BTW has anyone come across a 7 pin plug that is a right angle as opposed to coming straight out of the socket? The way the factory socket is angled, a plug sticking out of it will hang down too far for the purpose. BTW, the 2nd photo is my Durango's backup lighting in the same place. Much brighter. Tried to get the dealer to update software but no go.

Trailer hitch wiring to feed LED backup light-wilsonml350withhoselight-202_zpsjr9ku1tx.jpg
Trailer hitch wiring to feed LED backup light-durangobackup_zpswf0q0mcc.jpg