Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Michelein tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Michelein tires

Michelein has admitted that they're current "radical" tire construction needs to be rethought after the severe blistering that happened to Williams over the weekend at the Euro GP.

What's unfortunate about this is I think that this is partially the reason for McLaren's upswing in form lately. The team initially was complaining that they couldn't get enough heat and grip into the rear tires with the ones used earlier in the season. McLaren obviously wasn't having problems with the latest ones. I guess Michelein feels their best chance to win races is with Williams so they'll build tires better suited to that car.

Oh well - hopefully the Mac's will still work with the new design.

Cheers, BT

PS: Here's a pic of JPM's rear tire - no wonder he spun into DC.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I didn't realize that JPM's tire was that bad, everyone was blaming JPM for spinning into DC, but there was obviously nothing he could do about it with tires that bad.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
I guess the blame occurs because he knew his tires were not holding up and that he shouldn't have been that aggressive in defending his position. But considering how fast Kimi caught up to RS after DC and JPM went out it was obvious that Williams was going to be behind the McLarens after the pitstops. If JPM was under team orders, I would speculate that he was trying to hold the McLarens behind him to protect RS's position when he made his stop (considering that JPM and RS aren't exactly buddies - I imagine this probably isn't the case).

For two reasons is JPM held more accountable for the accident 1) DC was trying to go around the outside, while leaving plenty of space - he didn't try to kamikaze his way through the inside of the corner 2) no matter what, JPM was going to lose his postion during the stops.

Cheers, BT