Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Marlboro: "We will pay $70,000,000 for MS and KR superteam".

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006 | 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Thumbs up Marlboro: "We will pay $70,000,000 for MS and KR superteam".

From ITV F1.

"Ferrari’s title sponsor Marlboro would be willing to foot the $70 million annual wage bill likely to be entailed by a Michael Schumacher/Kimi Raikkonen driver pairing, according to this week’s Autosport magazine.

Speculation has been rife for months about both drivers’ 2007 plans, and with teams and sponsors keen to finalise their line-ups as soon as possible, it reached feverish levels over the San Marino Grand Prix weekend.

Despite persistent rumours that Raikkonen has already signed with Ferrari, sources close to the Finnish driver – as well as McLaren – claim this is not the case.

However, many paddock insiders believe Ferrari has committed to Raikkonen irrespective of whether Schumacher opts to retire or extend his Formula 1 career.

The German is expected to let the team know his decision by June, and if recent indications that he plans to carry on racing for at least another year are anything to go by, the Maranello squad could be set for a Schumacher/Raikkonen ‘superteam’.

There are several potential obstacles to that scenario materialising, but one of the most significant – money – now appears to have been removed.

According to Autosport, Marlboro’s parent company Phillip Morris has decided that the promotional value of a Schumacher/Raikkonen line-up justifies the vast sums that would be needed to finance both drivers’ salaries, and has informed Ferrari that it is prepared to pay whatever is necessary to secure it.

In the face of ever more restrictive tobacco advertising legislation worldwide, Ferrari represents one of the few remaining blue-chip promotional vehicles for Marlboro, a fact reflected in its long-term commitment to the Italian team through to the end of 2011.

The tobacco company reportedly believes that Ferrari’s red and white colour scheme is so synonymous with its Marlboro brand that backing the team has a promotional value even in countries where explicit branding is illegal."

i hope kimi pairs up w/ ms at ferrari.
he will get more credit for beating ms than he will for beating alonso.
and i think ms can teach him a thing or two (not driving wise) about being a complete racing driver.

hope it happens.
Old 04-28-2006 | 04:43 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Hmm i hope it happens too--and all the MS bashers will quiet down a bit-saying MS is not one of the greatest...Wel Ferrari have 2 people on the waiting list as of now.

Kimi
Valentino Rossi.
Old 05-01-2006 | 07:51 PM

2008 BMW 335xi Coupe
i would much rather see a Kimi/Alonso superteam.. why would i want Ferrari to start winning constantly again? F1 is boring that way.. now if McLaren was constantly winning
Old 05-02-2006 | 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by kostas
i would much rather see a Kimi/Alonso superteam.. why would i want Ferrari to start winning constantly again? F1 is boring that way.. now if McLaren was constantly winning
kimi and michael would be much better in my opinion.
just imagine, kimi beating a 7wdc in equal machinery, i really hope it happens
Old 05-02-2006 | 05:54 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
Originally Posted by AMG_55
kimi and michael would be much better in my opinion.
just imagine, kimi beating a 7wdc in equal machinery, i really hope it happens
It would much more difficult for MS to win as much without a clear #2 holding things up a bit and actually competing, so yes, it would be pretty cool. That said, MS is the greatest driver yet... all these other young folks have yet to beat him consistently.
Old 05-03-2006 | 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by egutie6970
Hmm i hope it happens too--and all the MS bashers will quiet down a bit-saying MS is not one of the greatest...Wel Ferrari have 2 people on the waiting list as of now.

Kimi
Valentino Rossi.

Dood, no one here is saying MS is not a remarkable driver. 7 championships=phenom
Old 05-08-2006 | 04:41 PM
Almost a Member!

1992 500SL, 1990 Jag XJS V-12 Conv't, 1976 Jag XJ12C, another '76 XJ12C!
Kimi vs MS

I think it would be great fun to watch Kimi and MS constantly driving each other off the road. Neither one will back down. Remember MS almost killing his brother 1 or 2 years ago and Ralf saying "He is crazy."

And if it wasn't for the wheel tether Kimi would be about 10 inches shorter after continue to push his car after flat spotting the tire until the suspension had had enough.

These would be some great races with 2 guys battling it out and 20 other cars trying to get close enough to see which red car is in the lead at the moment...