Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

McLaren's last attempt to keep Kimi?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
McLaren's last attempt to keep Kimi?

From F1.com

Mercedes makes $64m push
To retain Kimi Raikkonen
16/08/06 09:23

Despite speculation that his Ferrari deal is now all but official, new reports indicate that Kimi Raikkonen's future on the formula one grid beyond 2006 is not yet settled.

An article in Germany's major daily newspaper Bild on Wednesday will write that, as part of the speculated buyout of McLaren, carmaker Mercedes-Benz is making a final push to retain the 26-year-old Finn.

The report refers to a supposed two-year, (US) $64 million offer for Raikkonen, who has also been linked with a move to current championship-leading team Renault.

Regarding the rumoured Mercedes-Benz buyout of McLaren, meanwhile, Bild cited the information of a Mercedes spokesman in claiming that 'it is conceivable' that Ron Dennis would be left at the helm.

Earlier reports suggested that Mercedes' competition director Norbert Haug might assume the top job.

Source GMM
CAPSIS International
Old 08-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Kimi said earlier this season he dosen;t care about the money, he just wants to be a countender for the WDC. Maca is not going anywhere for the next few years IMO.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Banned

F248 F1
I have wanted to post this a few months ago but I have refrain myself because of the uproar you guys will have. I was reading an article where Mercedes has been blaming McLaren for the lack of pace over the last few years. I have had enough of Chrysler-Mercedes blaming McLaren. It is absurd! The only reasons why I have cheered on McLaren is because of the drivers. Now that none of my favorite drivers will be there I will cheer them on because of the prestigious name of McLaren. IF Chrysler buys out McLaren, I’m done with them. I’m glad the flag I have ONLY says McLaren. McLaren powered by Honda was such a great car. McLaren will lose A LOT of fans by letting Chrysler ruin in their image period. Their history will be gone. No more team McLaren. I rather have Ronny boy onboard then Chrysler. I don’t know why, maybe I just hate Chrysler? Ever since the merger, my respect for them has gone down the drain-I still respect cars up to the w140. Oh well that’s my rant.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
I think McLaren in general has a corporate culture problem... this "obsession with perfection on the details" they have ends up hurting them... I mean, when you have someone mopping up after people walking you've gone too far.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by egxpimp
I have wanted to post this a few months ago but I have refrain myself because of the uproar you guys will have. I was reading an article where Mercedes has been blaming McLaren for the lack of pace over the last few years. I have had enough of Chrysler-Mercedes blaming McLaren. It is absurd! The only reasons why I have cheered on McLaren is because of the drivers. Now that none of my favorite drivers will be there I will cheer them on because of the prestigious name of McLaren. IF Chrysler buys out McLaren, I’m done with them. I’m glad the flag I have ONLY says McLaren. McLaren powered by Honda was such a great car. McLaren will lose A LOT of fans by letting Chrysler ruin in their image period. Their history will be gone. No more team McLaren. I rather have Ronny boy onboard then Chrysler. I don’t know why, maybe I just hate Chrysler? Ever since the merger, my respect for them has gone down the drain-I still respect cars up to the w140. Oh well that’s my rant.

There is no such thing as Chrysler-Mercedes, there is such a thing as Daimler-Chrysler, the parent company of both Mercedes-Benz & Chrysler mtrs. respectively. Daimler-Benz bought out Chrysler motors to expand its operations in the US market, a business decision. Chrysler has nothing at all to do with McLaren & Mercedes-Benz Motorsports, nothing.

This is much different than Volkswagen, which actually owns Lamborghini, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, SEAT & Skoda. Ford is another one, the company owns Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover & a few others.

So who want's to buy a $250M+ Lambor....I mean VW? A lot of people!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Nola
I think McLaren in general has a corporate culture problem... this "obsession with perfection on the details" they have ends up hurting them... I mean, when you have someone mopping up after people walking you've gone too far.

Agree 100%, they sure are ****.