Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Which AMG for American Le Mans ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Which AMG for American Le Mans ?

With the launch of the SLS I was trying to determine which Mercedes AMG would make a good GT car.
My candidates are:
CLK63 Black
SL63 Black
SLS63

What do you guys think?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 AM

S430,300D X2,190E X2,280
Here's a late reply to your question, Marshall.

I spent quite a bit of time at the Petit LeMans pouring over and watching the SLS on track in the support race. It is a wicked beast to say the least but much development will be needed to make the car competitive. With the restrictions applied; I'd bet a silver dollar that the street SLS is significantly faster. It just looked "heavy" compared to the competition. Spencer Pumpelly is a great driver but he looked somewhat helpless out there.

As for a GT entry from AMG. Give us the CLK63 Black.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by samdon
Here's a late reply to your question, Marshall.

I spent quite a bit of time at the Petit LeMans pouring over and watching the SLS on track in the support race. It is a wicked beast to say the least but much development will be needed to make the car competitive. With the restrictions applied; I'd bet a silver dollar that the street SLS is significantly faster. It just looked "heavy" compared to the competition. Spencer Pumpelly is a great driver but he looked somewhat helpless out there.

As for a GT entry from AMG. Give us the CLK63 Black.
It's actually an SLR that Spenser was driving, I saw it too in the Petite Le Mans support series in Road Atlanta. In a straight line, the steet version might be faster due to the reduced hp (550 vs. 612 stock or 670 modified) but I don't think that handling-wise there is any comparison to the race car.

Never the less, I totally agree with you, the car looked a bit on the heavy side and also it seemed that it had too much torque, he was very cautious with the throttle especially at turn 5.

The race was dominated by the Volvo which seemed to be very nimble. The engine sounded like a 4-cylinder turbocharged which is probably a lot lighter than the huge V8 in the SLR and probably was a lot easier to drive out of the corners. Despite all of the above, the car along with the corvettes sounded incredible, I just love the roar of those V8's.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...t-in-speed-gt/

Last edited by kchristos; 10-13-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM

S430,300D X2,190E X2,280
You are surely right, kchristos. SLR, it is. Brain switch malfunction due to hours of online drooling over the new Gullwing.