Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

What about Schumacher?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
What about Schumacher?

I've never been a devout Schumacher fan. But I've watched this year, sorta rooting for him to come back succesfully from his 3-year retirement.

However, I was appalled at his nearly disasterous blocking maneuver at yesterdays Hungarian GP. And apparently I'm not the only one. Both Eddie Irvine and Nikki Lauda slapped him hard in post race comments, and the stewards have penalized MS 10 grid positions at Spa next month. Lauda said he should have gotten a one-race ban.

There are now calls for his return to retirement.

http://blogs.espnf1.com/paperroundf1/

This comment is particularly telling. ""Has the picture changed in the wake of Sunday’s grand prix? Yes, but not because he is a dangerous and controversial racer – we knew that already. He should walk away because he’s no longer fast enough and his overbearing arrogance can no longer be excused as that of a ruthless winning machine."

What do you think?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I was excited about his potential return last season as a fill in driver but wasn't too keen on hearing that he was going to be back running full time. His last season (before retirement) was very strong (if only the engine would have been as strong in the end... poof!) and he looked like he still had some good racing left in him - 3 years past though is now looking like a lot of time and it seems to have taken it's toll.

It's unfortunate but it's not like we haven't seen all of this before, not a whole lot of guys come back to anywhere near the same level as they once were (some exceptions of course). Still, I'd love to see a podium finish before the end of the year.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, CLK550
I have been a Schumacher fan since his first day in the Jordan. Michael has a competitive gene not known to many. This has showed the highest of highs and the lowest of lows most recently his poor decision making with former team mate RB. Michael has done things when he was basically untouchable in F1 that would make even his strongest supporters cringe. He is a win at all costs kind of guy and while that is very cool for the most part his decisions at times ore completely unacceptable as this last one with Rubens.
Should Michael be banned from one race based on that incident with Rubens? My answer is a solid No! I believe that Michael should be banned for a minimum of (3) races. What he did was stupid and life threatening. Based on what he has said after viewing the tape I think he understands that he screwed up and that the outcome could have been horrible.
Would I go to see Michael race again? The answer is absolutely! Love him or hate him he is without question the best that has ever raced an F1 car although, those days may be behind him he is still Michael Schumacher.