Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Alms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Alms

Is there any truth to a rumor going around about MB getting back into ALMS next year. I hope so, i would love to see the CLK representing us once again!!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
I had read that MB was considering running a variation of their DTM CLK racer in the GT category of the ALMS (I posted a picture of the 2002 car in an earlier thread in this forum). Unfortunately it looks like this isn't going to happen now due to the ACO (LeMans rule making organization) tightening up the rules regarding homologation, which is why BMW quit racing in this category. I am a little surprised because I thought the MB was legal under the rules (the CLK does come equiped with a V8 - unlike any BMW 3-series which is why they got dinged); it must have something more to do with how much the chassis varies from stock (I think the suspension might have to maintain the stock attachment points - which may not be the case for the DTM racer). Too bad, I was looking forward to rooting for MB here in the states. I like F1 but I also like rooting for a Mercedes that looks like a Mercedes.

Regards, BT