Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Behold the MP4-18

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Behold the MP4-18

Looks pretty sweet, notice how skinny it is. Especially around the low nose and the engine cover. A new Mercedes engine, the FO 110P V10, has been built specifically for this car and will sit lower in the chassis to help its centre of gravity. This is also the first McLaren with a suspension designed specifically to run Michelin tires.

They start testing it tomorrow.

Cheers, BT
Old 05-20-2003, 02:05 PM

demo benz
WOW
it looks like one mean anteater.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Damian L
WOW
it looks like one mean anteater.
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing.

- BT
Old 05-20-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I cant wait to see it race, I honestly think that with this car and Kimi's driving we have a very, very good chance of winning the championship, maybe not the constructers title, but definitely the drivers title.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 PM

996 Turbo
Originally posted by ChrisC32
I cant wait to see it race, I honestly think that with this car and Kimi's driving we have a very, very good chance of winning the championship, maybe not the constructers title, but definitely the drivers title.
I agree! I'm really not sure what they are going to do about DC. Its obvious he is talented but its also obvious that he is the unluckiest driver I have ever seen couple with his lack of agressiveness on the track.

Maybe they might sign Mark Webber next year. Seeing him control snap oversteer in the Jag is quite amazing, I never expected him to show any potential but its obvious that he has loads of it.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New McLaren set for Nurburgring
McLaren's managing director Martin Whitmarsh has told BBC Sport that the team aims to race their new car at next month's European Grand Prix.
Whitmarsh said McLaren had taken considerable technical risks to create a machine capable of rivalling the new Ferrari.

And he indicated that the target for the MP4-18's debut was the race at the Nurburgring on 29 June.

"It's not in my mind a secret that we would like to introduce it there. I think it's realistic and feasible, but it's early days yet," Whitmarsh told BBC Five Live Formula One.

"We've just started to run the car. Inevitably there are some teething problems, technical issues to be resolved.

I don't think anyone doubts that the car will be quick
McLaren managing director
Martin Whitmarsh
"Fortunately so far they've been of the variety which are frustrating and annoying but they are not large dramas. We'll fight through those fairly quickly.

"There is a target to go racing at the European Grand Prix but we will manage the risk by making the decision nearer the date."

McLaren's test driver Alexander Wurz put the MP4-18 through its paces for the first time this week at Le Castellet circuit in southern France.

Whitmarsh said it would be introduced in two stages - the MP4-18X first and then the MP4-18A, which will have a different transmission system and a greater level of technical risk.

"Everyone involved in it really believes in it at the moment," he said.

"In terms of technical risk I think it's greater than I've ever seen incorporated in the last 15 McLaren cars.

"Everyone has squeezed their heads and put every thought and idea they could into this project.

"I don't think anyone doubts that the car will be quick. But I also think there's an intuitive buzz in the company when they look at how extreme the car is and how expensive it looks."

The new Ferrari has brought Michael Schumacher back-to-back wins in its first two races, but McLaren believe it is beatable.

"I think last year we made them look better than they were in that Williams and McLaren underperformed," said Whitmarsh.

"They did a good job last year but not an extraordinary job. They were beatable.

"They did do an extraordinary job on reliability. We've now got to put them under some pressure so they have to take more technical risk.

"But, encouragingly, while their new car is clearly a very, very good car, it hasn't moved the game on significantly as far as we can see so far.

"Maybe in two races it's too early to say but it certainly doesn't appear to have been a big jump forward. We've got every expectation that we can make a step.

"We aim to give them a fight this year. Hopefully we can prevail. If we don't then we're going to be even stronger next year."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/spo...ne/2933498.stm

Published: 2003/05/23 19:46:59 GMT

© BBC MMIII
doh!! it wont be ready for the Montreal Grand Prix Was hoping to watch it live on CBC
Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by pokerFACE
doh!! it wont be ready for the Montreal Grand Prix Was hoping to watch it live on CBC
I was hoping to see it live in Montreal.

Guess that means I'll have to go to Indy this year.

Cheers, BT