Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Alesi says DTM deal should happen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just read story on jean alesi's possible confirmation for the mercedes dtm team!

sad to see him leave f1, but a great addition to the mb motorsport family.
Old 11-20-2001, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Maybe can persuade them to bring DTM to the US!! That would make me very, very happy
Old 11-20-2001, 08:17 PM

Me too .
Old 11-22-2001, 01:35 AM

well it seems alesi is now confirmed for dtm next season:

Jean Alesi has confirmed that he will race in the German DTM touring car championship next season.

The veteran Frenchman, who quit F1 after the Japanese Grand Prix last month, will drive a Mercedes CLK in the tin-top series.

Alesi said the DTM would make a refreshing change from F1, which he thinks is too dominated by technology.

He told the BBC: "I am very happy to be joining Mercedes-Benz. I've always liked the DTM with its close competition.

"Without the electronic aids assisting you in Formula 1 the cars are very challenging. I consider my DTM involvement to be a big challenge for my further racing career."

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug said he had been desperate to sign Alesi the moment it became clear he would be bowing out of F1.

He said: "In the last 13 years in Formula 1, Jean was always one of the fastest drivers and his style of driving and his personality is very much loved by the public. When the opportunity to contract Jean arose, we didn't hesitate."

Alesi made his Formula 1 debut in 1989. He drove in 201 grands prix for six different teams.

i also would like to see dtm in the u.s., watching taped coverage lasting all of 60 mins on speedvision just doesnt do it.

i think i'd be happy with a second us gp (west coast?), a wrc event, and of course dtm. one can always dream