Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing Use this forum to discuss Mercedes-related racing events including Formula 1, DTM and Truck series.

Go Kimi!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex-C32
Go Kimi!

Kimi proved that he could run competitive times to keep him near the front of the pack. Though it should be interesting to see when he has someone breathing down his neck like MS on JPM pass how he handles it. Just watching him come out on cold tires says that he needs a bit more seat time. But he did an excellent job none the less.

BMW, at least JPM, still shows a power advantage over the MS's Ferrari. But MS was eating JPM up in the turns.

I hope DC gets things sorted out in two weeks.

Norm
Old 03-03-2002, 11:26 AM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Question JPM vs MS

I don't think JPM was faster than MS. I do believe that JPM and his Bimmer were holding Michael back. The Ferrari was far and away faster. Too bad RS had to pull a Jaque Villaneuve and crash into the back of Rubens. Rubens is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He gets poll position and the race is taken away before the first turn. They should have stopped the race and restarted with the enitire field. What do you think, Norm?

Last edited by Goggles Piasano; 03-03-2002 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Kimi looked real good last night, DC looked like he was drunk, and there is nothing to say about Shumacher-he is the man. I agree Goggles, they should have stopped the race after that "incident" and restarted. Well 16 more to go!
Old 03-03-2002, 11:58 AM

ex-C32
They should have stopped the race and let the drivers go to back up cars or do what MS has been trying to tell them along that the start should be moved to avoid the accidents. It makes a boring race between the pit stops with only half a field. It always makes for an interesting race when they resort rain tires with the suspension set up for dry.

BMW does have a power advantage and it looks like MB might be the weakest of the threesome. Passing is done in the straight and BMWs ability to get the power down faster out of the turns make difficult for anyone to pass before the braking zone.

I think RB had the better idea and brake early for the first turn as the rubber that was laid down before the rain was gone. Poor RB.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
If MS had crashed in the first corner I bet they would have red-flagged it.

I think the main reason McLaren and Williams got blown off in Austrailia is that Michelein didn't do a very good job with the tires. I think the weekend was so cool they never got the heat into the tires (usually that weekend is nice and hot - preferred Michelein operating temperature). Current thinking is that the tires are worth about 1-4 seconds a lap depending on the track. So the wrong tires can seriously ruin your weekend. Comparing the Williams with McLaren (since they were on the same tires) shows hope for the rest of the season. Kimi looked to keep in pretty good touch with Montoya for most of the race, I didn't perceive too big of a power difference there.

Regarding Couthard, turns out his gear box was broken, it would balk on downshifts - which is why he kept flying off the road in the braking zones. They brake these cars in seriously short distances (from 180 mph to 30 in around 50 m), so a downshifting problem can serious screw up the cars handling on corner entry. Ultimately it ended up jammed in sixth, so he quit.

Later, BT