Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help I want to buy parts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help I want to buy parts

I want to buy parts to give my car a tune for my 00 C280.

I know I need spark plugs, ignition set, gas filter, oil, oil filter. I wondering should I get the tranny oil changed cause my car has 85k and I dont think it had any tranny service done to it. Should I use amsoil tranny and oil fluid and the corresonding filters? Im sorry I am really a dunce
Old 03-07-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Use only the lubricants and parts/filters approved by MB. Do not believe the oil you mentioned is on the approved list.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally Posted by noreagaxl

I know I need spark plugs, ignition set, gas filter, oil, oil filter. I wondering should I get the tranny oil changed cause my car has 85k and I dont think it had any tranny service done to it. Should I use amsoil tranny and oil fluid and the corresonding filters? Im sorry I am really a dunce
I agree with sosh. Amsoil has extremely good engine oils but they are not recommended by MB - there must be a reason for that, even if it's purely marketing by Mobil-1, stick with the recommended fluids. And, YES, since you plan to keep the car over 100K, do the tranny service - I talked with my master tech about this and that's what he recommended for my E-Class.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Why stop there? If the transmission maintenance has been ignored, I suspect the following items may need to be addressed:

- Cooling system... Every 3 yrs or 30K, whichever comes first... use dealer fluid or Zerex G 05.
- Rear axle fluid... every 30K... use synthetic lubricant.
- Brake fluid... flush (exchange fluid) every 2 yrs.... use DOT 4.

Here's a link to the MB Approved Service Products
Old 03-31-2005, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Arrow Where to buy...

Hi, just a quick note re: source and a couple of other things.

I've had great results with both autopartsaz.com and autopartswarehouse.com. They sell both OEM and aftermarket parts at a steep discount from retail and offer free ground shipping once you hit the $50 price point.

Personally I'd recommend the fleece oil filters, not the paper ones. They don't cost much more and they provide superior filtration with a longer service life. Also, be sure to buy a filter KIT and not just a filter. With the kit you get the O-rings that the MBZ filter assembly uses; they harden over time and you want to be sure to change them when you change the filter.

If your car is generally running fine I wouldn't worry about the ignition set if by that you mean coils or wires. Just do the plugs, but I would recommend a spark plug wire puller as that will lessen the chances of damaging a wire or boot.

Have fun and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Originally Posted by noreagaxl