Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xenon headlight problem!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xenon headlight problem!

01 ml55 amg driver side headlight is messed up. i turn it on, xenon headlight comes on, after 2-3 minutes just turns off. after that, when i switch it on, the light only stays on for a few seconds before going out. any ideas on what the problem is? i was told i need an module, ignitor, and a new bulb. i was told from someone else that the module is the ignitor. so i'm a little confused on what i really need. i'm guessing that i only need the ignitor, and maybe i can just use the bulb thats in now. i was quoted $350 for a new ignitor and $125 for a new bulb from the dealer, anyone know where i can get these for a cheaper price?

thanks

SEAN
Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 AM

bump

anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Take it to the dealer, have it correctly diagnosed, stop guessing and in the long run it will be less expensive than just throwing parts at it. I also do not understand since you own a late model ML 55 why the price of the repair is such an issue?? Perhaps you are driving the wrong vehicle from a financial standpoint.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:09 AM

i took it to the dealer and it was dianosed. they said i need a module, a ignitor, and a light bulb. maybe you dont know, that dealers like to do people in the butt. they would rather replace the "whole thing" than just confess thats its "one thing". my question was simple and to the point, if you dont have an answer, just dont reply. i thought maybe someone would know where to get a used or even new ignitor for better than $350. i guess i posted in the wrong place. thanks for helping.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amgcool
i took it to the dealer and it was dianosed. they said i need a module, a ignitor, and a light bulb. maybe you dont know, that dealers like to do people in the butt. they would rather replace the "whole thing" than just confess thats its "one thing". my question was simple and to the point, if you dont have an answer, just dont reply. i thought maybe someone would know where to get a used or even new ignitor for better than $350. i guess i posted in the wrong place. thanks for helping.
Before eBay became a pool of shark infested waters I bought a ballast for $60 Euro or so. A far cry from $350 USD.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 Renault Megane II
I'd think it's the ballast (ignitor) I don't know why they have to change the bulb too
Old 03-21-2005, 04:58 PM

1998 SL 600 ///AMG. 1997 SL 320. 1999 SLK 230K. 2001 BMW R850.
Use eBay Germany, you'll find one for around $80. Just check the feedback before your approach... I buy lots of MB bitz there, it's all in the feedback.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Did you try to switch the bulbs from left to right and see if the problem switches sides? It might just be a bulb!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:05 PM

its not the bulb, its the ballast that needs to be replaced. i found a couple of ballasts for sale on ebay. now the question is, are all ballasts' interchangable between each and every model of mercedes? i'm looking to change a ballast on my ml55 01'. thanks for replying and posting help.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Man I must say, this is an excellent answer.....

Originally Posted by sosh
Take it to the dealer, have it correctly diagnosed, stop guessing and in the long run it will be less expensive than just throwing parts at it. I also do not understand since you own a late model ML 55 why the price of the repair is such an issue?? Perhaps you are driving the wrong vehicle from a financial standpoint.
I see these same types of questions all the time You gave the perfect response
Old 03-24-2005, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by amgcool
its not the bulb, its the ballast that needs to be replaced. i found a couple of ballasts for sale on ebay. now the question is, are all ballasts' interchangable between each and every model of mercedes? i'm looking to change a ballast on my ml55 01'. thanks for replying and posting help.
there are lots of different ballasts; however they all do the same thing. keep in mind also that some ballasts are water tight and some are not. you should pull out your ballast and look for a part # on it so you can get the correct one. the ones in my mbz were from an s class and we converter euro lights to take them. however i had different ballasts b4 and fried 3 of them when it rained because they were not water tight. (DONT TOUCH THE BULB WITH UR FINGERS)

if you cant find it pm me and i can get you one for some % above cost. but i would ebay it before buying from a dealer.