Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Me Washed My Engine Know Car Runs Like *****

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stupid Me Washed My Engine Know Car Runs Like *****

like it says I just bought a 94 C280 with 85K miles a couple weeks ago I thought I would detail the motor to make look nice and ever since then my car jerks when I'm stopped with it in drive. especially if you let the brake off to coast at 2-5mph. it really jerks, It feels like a cylinder isn't hitting or something, so I checked for water in the spark plugs that could of leaked in, and sure enough #4 I think, had about a inch of water in it, so I dried it out good. Though 100% I fixed the problem but nope it still is doing it, so I took it apart again and took out the plug but it looked fine, I have no clue what the problem is and I hate to take it to the $tealership if I don't have to????? Please help
Old 03-31-2005, 09:55 AM

2008 C300 Sport
If the engine was hot when you washed it and water leaked in the cylinder, some parts may be warped.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 AM

2000 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by nick280c
like it says I just bought a 94 C280 with 85K miles a couple weeks ago I thought I would detail the motor to make look nice and ever since then my car jerks when I'm stopped with it in drive. especially if you let the brake off to coast at 2-5mph. it really jerks, It feels like a cylinder isn't hitting or something, so I checked for water in the spark plugs that could of leaked in, and sure enough #4 I think, had about a inch of water in it, so I dried it out good. Though 100% I fixed the problem but nope it still is doing it, so I took it apart again and took out the plug but it looked fine, I have no clue what the problem is and I hate to take it to the $tealership if I don't have to????? Please help
If u just bought it for a dealer, just take it back. U can always blame it on the dealer!! If u bought it from piblic, u are hosed like your recenlty hosed engine !!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 AM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
You're not stupid...

We all like to have things look nice. My car started life in NYC and I wish I could do something (short of sandblasting and powdercoating) about all the oxidization on the engine from the salts and chemicals they use on their streets.

I've not played with your year and model, but if all you did was check the plugs you're missing the whole rest of the secondary ignition system. You're going to have to get under there and -- making sure you label everything so you can put it back the same way -- pull the plug wires and coils and clean and dry it all out. If you only have one coil, then you have a distributor and you'll want to dry that out -- inside and under the wire caps -- thoroughly. Hopefully that will take care of it. Again, take your time and be very methodical throughout the process.

Don't worry about water getting into your cylinders; you'd have had to direct the water through the intake for that and if it ran, it would have vaporized it all out by now. However, if it was hot when you washed it, it's possible you cracked a coil, so be sure to examine it/them closely for any signs of cracks. I also wasn't clear whether you pulled your spark plugs, but it's worth doing that to see if one of them has cracked porcelain -- that's kind of a longer shot, though. Of course if you find cracks then replace the damaged item. And if you're up on mileage, you may as well change the plugs if you're going to pull them to examine them anyway.

If that doesn't take care of it, then you may have water in another spot, probably still an electrical connection. However, your symptoms sound like the classic secondary short, so we'll keep our fingers crossed while you get busy with yours.

Take care and I hope you're soon back to enjoying the ride,
Greg
Old 03-31-2005, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
That was really stupid !! There are lots of electric and electronic components there and its likely that you destroyed some. These are expensive and it will be out of your pocket. Own up to what you did and have your dealer diagnose it and correct it. Be prepared for a huge bill!!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

I took it to the dealer and he thought I should go a couple more days and see if it dries itself out. I hope it does
Old 03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks greg I will tear into her, I changed the oil the day after this happened and there wasn't any signs of water in the oil, I'm sure it is electrical at least I think it is
Old 07-05-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Wet wires

You can also use a hair dryer to warm up the connectors. This will drive the water out of the connector shells.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:03 PM

2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
I work at an MB dealer, and we wash our engine bays out all the time with degreaser and a hose, before doing work to keep everything clean. I had a problem with it once, and it did go away after a few days. The things under the hood of these cars are designed to be able to get wet to a certain extent. Post up in a couple days if it doesnt go away.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 1996 S320 & 2006 E320 CDI Sold to my son & 2017 GMC 2500 Diesel Pick up
Thumbs up Doen't worry B happy

Originally Posted by MBTECH2003
I work at an MB dealer, and we wash our engine bays out all the time with degreaser and a hose, before doing work to keep everything clean. I had a problem with it once, and it did go away after a few days. The things under the hood of these cars are designed to be able to get wet to a certain extent. Post up in a couple days if it doesnt go away.
I have to say I have to agree with this guy. I wash my S320 a couple times a year. Once I got a check engine light even. Shuttering at low speed sometimes ( only lasted a couple days ) My thought is it would take a lot of water directed at just the right place to get in the engine. As above if it was way hot parts like plug ceramic could cack. Good luck but don't worry
Rod
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Renault Megane II
I bet it is water inside some obscure part in the ignition system, be sure to check/clean/dry all components and your car will be sliky smooth in no time. :v
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Just read your title of this post, its a BIG give away on how you are a stupid idiot. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:09 AM
Almost a Member!

C230
Originally Posted by Needing2knowDud
Just read your title of this post, its a BIG give away on how you are a stupid idiot. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
That wasn't necessary. Aren't you the guy posting on a Benz forum asking for help to mod your Mazda?

I hope everything works out okay. Just wondering if there is a proper way to wash the engine. Any precautions?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
I had a similar problem after washing the engine on my '95 C280. Under the three coils there are connectors to the spark plugs. One of them had gone bad. There are three. The other three spark plugs have a normal plug wire from the coils.

Those who are calling folks idiots and stupid are just demonstrating their ignorance.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Give it time to totally dry out, it should run fine, otherwise you have a permanenet problem, but I've hard of this type of thing on cars after a washing that usually go away in a day or two.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Almost a Member!

Change all the spark slugs (buy them at the dealer) and order the spark plug connectors made by Beru. You need this for cylinders 2,4,6. The list price at the stealership is $17.42 each. I'd get the Beru one.

I had the same problem on my 1995 C36 when someone detailing the car washed the engine bay.