Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate PEM nut spins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking License Plate PEM nut spins

While removing the license plate on the trunk of my 1997 E420, one screw was very difficult to remove resulting in the PEM Nut on the trunk spinning.I finally got the plate off,but wonder if there is a good or easy way to fix the loose PEaM fastener?
Thanks,

Robert33
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
I've not tried it yet...

I have one that some bozo put a uss screw in and loosened. I was able to clean up the threads but the nut itself is still loose.

The PEMs are pressed in with a special tool, so I think the only affordable way to fix it is to yank the inner covers from the deck lid and then use two hammers -- one pressed firmly against the nut from the outside and the other (a ball peen hammer would be ideal) striking the inside lip of it with very light blows -- to swage it back in tighter. I've done this on other applications for PEMs and it is successful. I've not taken the time to disassemble mine, but that's the only way I can think of to do it. Given that I don't relish tearing the deck lid apart, in the meanwhile, I used some electronic-sized needlenose pliers to hold the nut as I tightened the screw in; it's not as though it's going to fall out.

Anyone out there have any other ideas that don't involve a $cha-ching$ repair?

Thanks and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Robert33
While removing the license plate on the trunk of my 1997 E420, one screw was very difficult to remove resulting in the PEM Nut on the trunk spinning.I finally got the plate off,but wonder if there is a good or easy way to fix the loose PEaM fastener?
Thanks,

Robert33
Take the liner off of the trunk lid to expose the back side of the inserts-you may need to cut out the old inserts and install new ones if they are very rounded,either way you dont need a special tool for this,although it is ALOT easier. Hold the back side of the insert with pliers or a wrench,install the licence place bolt with washers and lubricate the washers,tighten the bolt into the insert-this will compress the insert and make it bulge out and pinch itself in place. Be carefull-dont tighten too much or you will strip the threads out and the then you have to replace the insert. Good luck
Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
mercedestech1, that is excellent advice. The inserts are usually installed with a rivet type tool, but it is so easy to pull the threads out. Your way is foolproof - as long as he goes easy.