Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with Electronic Oil Level Indicator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C280
Trouble with Electronic Oil Level Indicator

I've posted this in the C class section, but I thought that perhaps someone in this area may have an answer to my question.

Okay, I have a 2000 C280. In my owner's manual it says that the engine oil level can be checked electronically using the instrument panel. I try doing the procedure outlined, but when I turn the key to position 2, neither the clock symbol or the oil symbol light up in the odometer and trip display field as the manual says they should. When I press the "O" button twice, only the FSS indicator lights up. What am I doing wrong? In the C class forum a member told me that I should wait for 10-15 seconds, and at that point the numbers will disappear, and the oil symbol will then light up. Problems is, that the numbers never disappear. As long as the key is in position 2, the numbers are always on. It doesn't seem to matter how long I wait. And when I press the O button, it only shows the FSS.

Now, I have an active imagination, but I've also come up with my own theory. If I'm not doing anything wrong with the procedures, is it possible that the instrument cluster was replaced with a different one from say, a c230? Would that be the reason the oil checker isn't coming up, because the dash in my car is from a car that didn't support it? The main reason why I suspect this is because the tachometer dial (where the numbers are) is crooked. I can tell by looking at the clock display compared to the dial and also by seeing that the pointer doesn't align perfectly with the first notch on the dial. Is this possible?
Old 05-01-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
long shot guess....

Is your door closed when attempting this?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:45 PM

2000 C280
Yes, the door is closed. Is it supposed to be open?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Closed...my year/model reacts differently with the door open.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:20 PM

2000 C280
Well, I tried with the door open anyway...No go. The numbers are always on.