Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusted Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 300E
Rusted Fuel Line

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and have a pretty serious problem w/ my '87 300E.

Recently I've smelled gas and have noticed that fuel is leaking out of one of the 2 metal fuel lines right under the rear driver's side door. I'd like to know if I can purchase these lines myself and where I could do that. I'm hesitant to take it to my local shop b/c I don't want them to charge me and arm and a leg to fix it. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by 87 300E Benz; 05-19-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Thats not a real serious problem unless it is not fixed right away. You have an old vehicle, still in service beyond its designed life. You live in an area where lots of salt is used on the roads. Just order the correct lines and have them installed or install them yourself immediatly, before you have a fire or worse. Don't cheap out on this one!!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Doing it yourself depends on how comfortable you are working with cars and how accessable the fuel line is in your car. Can you remove the entire length of affected fuel line?... if yes, then you're in luck. Otherwise you may want to take it into the shop, unless you're very handy and creative.

Once removed, you have two choices.... 1) Buy a prebent replacement from the dealer, or 2) Fabricate one yourself with replacement fuel line from the local auto supply house and a tube flaring kit.