Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower Gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 260E
Unhappy Blower Gremlins

Recently bought an 87 260E.

Not sure if previous owner modified it or what.

Blower moter is not controllable by pushbutton switches. You have to turn the ignition switch backwards as if you are shutting off the car, but before the car actually shuts off, the blower motor will come on.

It will only come on full speed. The controlls on the dash do nothing! I can have them shut off and the blower will still go full blast. All of the other controls seem to be functional.

I have a tech manual on loan from a shop. It shows me the wires into the harness on top of the push button switch control module. All of the wires match up except one. I have a brown wire on # 12 where his book shows a white-red.

Where is the control box or relay?

Book also shows J/B #64. Where is that?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 AM

87 260E
OK so noone replied but...

I replaced the faulty ignition switch. I now have constant high speed blower. I can control the temperature and where air is diverted to. It's actually not too bad since I'm in South Texas and we've been just under 100 Fahrenheit for a week.

Even if I shut the blower off at the control panel, it's still going full speed...

Sure hope one of you Mercedes gurus will take the time to reply.

Last edited by clglwilson; 05-26-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM

87 260E
OK, I can't a reply out of someone with a stick or a chair. What's the best way to get a bit of help out of all you mercedes geniuses?

Why be a member if we don't help each other?

OK I'm a bit by this problem and joined here thinking it would be a great way to get help and help others with the same kind of issues. Am I just ?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:43 AM

87 260E
Thanks for all your help!

Thanks everybody for your feedback.

I decided to replace the blower motor regulator and it fixed the problem.

I thought it would be important that folks know that my 260E had the blower on full speed whenever the key was on. Most of the other posts where the blower motor regulator failed had the fan either not coming on or only on low speed.