Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed with Tranny replacement...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed with Tranny replacement...

My friend has a 99 SLK 230 with 75k miles on it and the tranny went on him (P.S this is a A.T.) The dealer said that it will be about $6k to replace, maybe a little more. The problem is my friend doesn't have that type of money just laying around. What i suggested was to find a tranny for a salvage SLK or C class or what not and have it swaped out. While looking on this website...

www.car-part.com

....i have noticed that 2000 230 trannies are less money than 1999 trannies. Why is this? Also the reason i ask is that i am located near NYC and the 2000 trannies are closer to me and easier to get to.

Also if anyone has some info about this swap, and if its more than just a in and out routine. Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 PM

damn, i hope that mercedes service departments aren't as bad as these forums......
Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Almost a Member!

IMHO, it's a bit rude to ask for free advice and then complain when you get what you paid for.
Patience is a virtue.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:16 PM

I apologize if i came off as rude, however i thought the whole point of a forum was "FREE advice". I can understand that most don't have a answer for what one is looking for however the fact that no one in a MB forum can point me in the direction for this informatoin is kinda said. No suggestions, no responses, no nothing. That is that i was complaining about. The fact that no one said; Do a search...Call MB...or anyting to that nature is pretty bad.

Then again i am use to a faster paced forum...and this one moves like a snail in comparison. So waiting for a response will prob take a while. So i guess i am doomed
Old 06-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

I feel your frustration. Sorry that I don't know enough about transmissions to venture much more than a wild-arsed guess. My Official Guess is that the price difference indicates something different with the transmissions. Whether or not one could be made to work in place of the other requires more information and knowledge than I have access to. I suppose you could pull the transmission out of the car and take it along to go look at the cheaper transmission.

How big is the price difference, anyhow?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 BMW M5
You gave your original question 1hr 1min to be answered, a little unreasonable if you ask me. Now an answer to your question. You need to stick with the one for your car. The clutch clearances, specifications and valve body are chassis specific. The swap is fairly easy if you have some reasonable mechanical skill.. Unbolt driveshaft, whole thing makes it easier if you don't have a lift. Unbolt trans crossmember, just let it hang, won't damage anything.. Unhook trans wire harness. Disconnect shift linkage. Unbolt cooler lines. Make sure you unbolt the trans dipstick up top. Unbolt trans at engine, drop trans. Install is reverse.