Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranmission fluid question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Well Damn!

Originally Posted by mercedestech2
The fluid in a 722.6 tranny does not need to be changed at any regular intervals. I would change maybe every 100k miles. The tech that said he saw fluid that was black as coffee and is pissed that MB says do not change is right in some sense. Drain your engine oil at 3k, is it dark? Probably, doesn't mean it needs changing though. The 722.6 tranny has been very reliable on vehicles over 100k miles without fluid changes. IMHO as a MB tech, it is a complete waste of money to change your trans fluid as a maintainence item before 100k.
I guess I am just used to old procedures. I just flushed all the ATF fluid out of my E500. Car has 52K on it, and I feel better after doing it. I used a flush machine and spent 14 liters through it. While it may not have been necessary, I feel better having done it. I figure I will do this about every 50K. I did resist the urge to open the pan and change the filter though. Not a cheap process. Each liter ran about $7.99USD from MB Wholesale.

Randy
Old 06-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 BMW M5
If you feel better after doing it, then thats great, do it as often as you like. Changing the filter is not hard. Since you flushed it I'll assume you have a trans dipstick and know how to correct the level of the fluid. In order to change the filter just drain the trans on the bottom, don't forget to replace the crush seal. Remove the 6 bolts holding on the pan, and remove the pan. Filter is right there, pull it out, careful extra fluid will defenitly come out at this point. Slap a new filter in, replace the pan- use a new pan gasket. Torque the pan bolts to 8nm, the pan bolt is 25nm, or just quite snug. Correct fluid level and you are good to go.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...The fluid in a 722.6 tranny does not need to be changed at any regular intervals...

Originally Posted by patrick
...I do not know in the US, but in Europe maintenance prescriptions have changed. Only certain models, not all, should have oil and filter change only the first 60 000 kms, then never again (in case of certain repairs not included, only if everything goes well).

I think I know more about these transmissions than average and I think this system (only first 60000 kms) is good and I also can understand why.

So...just follow maintenance prescriptions (if they have already changed in the US too, dealers should have new service sheets)...

...Drain your engine oil at 3k, is it dark? Probably, doesn't mean it needs changing though. The 722.6 tranny has been very reliable on vehicles over 100k miles without fluid changes...
I totally agree. The colour itself does not tell that much. I do not know how it goes there in the US, but overhere we have detailed MB instructions with foto's of different coloured 722.6 transmission oils, metal deposits and so on. Only experienced MB techs can tell if there is really something wrong with the oil. AND THAT CERTAINLY DOES NOT MEAN THAT ONLY AN OIL CHANGE WILL FIX IT!
Old 06-18-2005, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Atf

Having owned several vehicles and having done the maintenance on 'em as well. It's foolish to believe that ATF would last 100K miles - regardless of what the manufacturer says. As someone stated previously, does MB warranty the tranny to 100K? No just no, but hell no. The effects of age, condensation, temperature and deterioration of the fluid occur within 30-40K miles which is when you should replace it.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by StapleGun
Having owned several vehicles and having done the maintenance on 'em as well. It's foolish to believe that ATF would last 100K miles - regardless of what the manufacturer says. As someone stated previously, does MB warranty the tranny to 100K? No just no, but hell no. The effects of age, condensation, temperature and deterioration of the fluid occur within 30-40K miles which is when you should replace it.
Seeing 35 to 40 MB's a day in the workshop I just read the proof of you not knowing how those transmissions work (nor automatic transmissions in general), not knowing the capabilities of the MB fluid and so on...

Does "adaptation" say you anything? Effects of temperature? Do you mean the temperatures exceed what the fluid is made for? Condensation? Age? You know s*** about it.
I do not know in the US, but overhere warranty is NOT mileage-limited, so if you manage to have done 100K miles within warranty it is indeed possible that MB has to cover the transmission if there is something wrong. So warranty period has nothing to do with MB transmission maintenance prescriptions.

I am getting a little bit too frustrated because:
1. my technical English is not good enough to make some things clear, e.g. how those transmissions work, what adaptation does, why it is NOT necessary to change the fluid every X miles, how to judge the colour of the fluid, deposits,..., what to do if there is really something wrong with the fluid, Why shifting problems can occur without being something wrong (having repair done? Pity!...) and how to fix it (interesting) and so on...
2. most people here know all better, I just ask myself why???????

So...this was my last posting. Bye!
Old 06-18-2005, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I hope not. I know it is frustrating to read some of the opinions and 'facts' people post but one needs to seperate fact from fiction. Not everything posted has value, nor is everything false. Most 'how to' instructions are close to accurate and most 'when should I do this maintenance' opinions are based on the premise that sooner is always better because it can't hurt.....money, time, waste of resources, manufacturer's recommendations, and peripheral damage caused by the maintenance are not considerations. Smart post readers know who/what to ignore. Unfortunately you have to read through a bunch of junk to get that one piece of useful information but it's worth it. More people listen to someone with your background and experience than you think.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Geez, Patrick don't let one guy **** you off!!

Seeing 35 to 40 MB's a day in the workshop I just read the proof of you not knowing how those transmissions work (nor automatic transmissions in general), not knowing the capabilities of the MB fluid and so on...

Does "adaptation" say you anything? Effects of temperature? Do you mean the temperatures exceed what the fluid is made for? Condensation? Age? You know s*** about it.
I do not know in the US, but overhere warranty is NOT mileage-limited, so if you manage to have done 100K miles within warranty it is indeed possible that MB has to cover the transmission if there is something wrong. So warranty period has nothing to do with MB transmission maintenance prescriptions.

I am getting a little bit too frustrated because:
1. my technical English is not good enough to make some things clear, e.g. how those transmissions work, what adaptation does, why it is NOT necessary to change the fluid every X miles, how to judge the colour of the fluid, deposits,..., what to do if there is really something wrong with the fluid, Why shifting problems can occur without being something wrong (having repair done? Pity!...) and how to fix it (interesting) and so on...
2. most people here know all better, I just ask myself why???????

He's entitled to his opinion and that's about all. Just as you are. Your knowledge and near perfect english are most welcome here. After having raced vehicles for a while as well as maintained a fleet of Police cars, my decision to change the ATF is purely to satisfy myself. While I have very limited knowledge with the MB's as a whole this is what I have done in the past with my E430 and now the E500.

BTW, over here in the US MBUSA warrants the cars for 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. After that period it is the responsibility of the owner to do with the car what they wish.

Randy
Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM

2000 BMW M5
Patrick, you make good points, we as well see transmissions in the shop daily. However they are not in the shop because of problems caused by old fluid. Primarily we have conductor sleeve leaks and the occasional electrical failure of the conductor plate. We do have occasional rebuilds because of slippage upon acceleration, but I do not believe this has anything to do with fluid life. We get plenty of 722.3 in for repair, and they have distance mandated fluid changes.We have not received any information regarding fluid life, or sheets specifying color of .6 fluid.I will continue to stand by my 100k mile reccomendation based on my experience in an authorized MB dealer. Yes everyone will have different opinions.I'm not saying it's bad that you change the fluid, just saying that I think the money could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:27 PM

SL000
Originally Posted by Randy B
I guess I am just used to old procedures. I just flushed all the ATF fluid out of my E500. Car has 52K on it, and I feel better after doing it. I used a flush machine and spent 14 liters through it. While it may not have been necessary, I feel better having done it. I figure I will do this about every 50K. I did resist the urge to open the pan and change the filter though. Not a cheap process. Each liter ran about $7.99USD from MB Wholesale.

Randy
Prove of waste of time and money!!!
Next time change the engine oil....but not the filter!
You'll feel much better!