Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK208 Recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Exclamation CLK208 Recall

MBTech208, I received the safety recall # 2005-020003 for the "crankshaft harmonic balancer pulley"
Will this affect my power pulleys, I know the power pulleys are for the alternator, power steering and water pump.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM

2000 BMW M5
The balancer is inspected for possible run out as all mb vehicles have had problems with harmonic balancers coming apart. If you can see the balancer look for part numbers ending in 00 00, or 06 00 then you are affected and run out will be measured. If yours is not coming apart you will be put on a waiting list to come back and have the balancer replaced, if it is coming apart it will be replaced then pending parts availability. This should not affect your other pulleys at all. If you don't want to run into the shop now to have it inspected you can easily check it yourself. First I would start te vehicle and open the hood. Look at the balancer, if it's wobbling bring it into the shop. If the wobble is bad and it is let go for too long it possibly can take out your main oil and and/or front cover. If it's not wobbling and it has the affected part number go on in at your convenience and you'll be put on a list for a new balancer.. If you do get one I'd reccomend having them change the front crank seal while they are there, just as a precautionary measure while they are there.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Thumbs up

I'll take it to the shop on Monday, thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
Hi MBTECH,
The warrantee on my W208 CAB 2002 is about to run out, until august, do you happen to know where I can get information on ALL the recall information, since '02, of this model so before it runs out I can bring it back to the dealer to have everything fixed at once. Or if you have that information, that would be great. thanks. I've never brought it in to have any recalls taken care of.

Last edited by slvrstar; 06-20-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 PM

2000 BMW M5
There are not many recalls on 208's actually. An easy way to find out what they are for your vehicle in particular, is when you go to the dealer, the service advisor prints out a Vehicle Master Inquiry. This is a form displaying all work done to your vehicle in MB's database. This form will also show all recalls/campaigns for your vehicle and whether or not they have been done. A couple things to look for before you bring it in. Do your windows work consistantly with auto up. This meaning do they go all the way up and stop or do they ever pop back down. Look at your side rear glass, on the chrome trim are there any scrape marks from the front window making contact? Just a couple things to look for, and maybe make a mention of if they are occuring.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk
Thanks mbtech, by the way, is there a problem with the w208 windows? I hardly open them, usually use a/c. If mine are working fine, should I still point it out to them? Also, I've noticed, don't know if it's supposed to by like that but when I press and release the button to open the windows (quick/hard enough) it would go all the way down but when I do that to close the window, it would not allow me. Is that the way it's supposed to be?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 PM

2000 BMW M5
There is not a problem with the windows, but an occasional problem with the rear window regulators. If it's not happening don't worry about it. Your car may be old enough where the auto up feature was not available, if it doesn't have it, don't worry about it.