Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace front strut...safely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2005 | 09:09 AM

95 e320, 01 c5 vette
How to replace front strut...safely

Got the bilstein sports this weekend for a '95 w124 and will be installing them myself, just to give myself something to do and get more familiar with the car. The rear shocks look relatively simple to replace. The front struts however look a little ominous. Ive read on the web and it seems that the spring will be under cmopression when I take the strut off and if I dont have floorjack holding the control arm up, the spring will uncompress and fly out. Is this true? Does the strut connect the entire arm in place? If so, how exactly do I replace the struts in the front. Seems that I have to take off the wheel place a jackstand under the control arm and bring the car down on the arm to keep the spring compressed, and then take the strut out. Will I need to do this for the rear shocks? Thanks
Old 06-28-2005 | 09:26 PM

2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
If you can get me a VIN I can get you the factory manual info off of WIS for you to follow the actual factory directions...
Old 06-28-2005 | 10:00 PM
Almost a Member!

"The shock absorber struts serve as the rebound stop for the front wheels" so yeah, the spring can come flying out if you're careless. According to my sources, supporting the control arm with a jackstand will work. I'd suggest taking MBTech up on his kind offer and get the straight dope from the factory.

Further, if you're going to do this sort of thing often, invest in the MB service manual CD.
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:26 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Don't know if you have Autozone stores near you

but they'll loan you a spring compressor free (you pay for it and have 90 days to return for a full refund). Well worth the insurance, I've seen these penetrate a block wall (luckily no one was hurt and it was neither my car, my wall or my work!). Nothing to play around with at all.

Tip: Before you pull off the top mount on the strut mark it's position. I think it's part of the alignment on this model. Get it realigned as quickly as possible after you do the struts, but this will keep you closer. Better yet, make a deal with a good shop to do a full alignment and install your struts for a package price.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 07-01-2005 | 06:50 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
http://mb.braingears.com/