Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..Smoke coming out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
Help..Smoke coming out

When i start my car, and start to drive...Clear smoke comes out the back....But it wont do it to much when i warm it up...It also comes out when i step on it....MY friends were telling me this when they were behind me today. After knowing this, i did a oil change cause i needed one bad...Could this of been the problem? IM gussing its running kinda lean since the smoke was clear. Any help would be great
thanks

I have a 97 E420 with 80k miles on it..bone stock.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Clear smoke?

You mean steam? White smoke?

If that's what it is, it most likely is one of the following things:

1) water condensation in your exhaust system that collects overnight (if you park outside) vaporising as the exhaust warms up, in which case the steam should disappear after maybe 10 minutes' driving;

2) a leaking head gasket which is allowing coolant into one or more cylinders and then it's being vaporised and coming out the exhaust pipe. Based on your description, it sounds like this is the more likely scenario, unfortunately.

You should have your dealer do a pressure test on the cooling system. After it's pumped up, the air pressure should remain constant for 5 minutes or more. If not, there's a leak, likely in the head gasket, considering the steam in the exhaust.

Changing the oil will not in any way affect the amount of smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust.
Old 07-03-2002, 12:35 AM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Mike T.

I also think that is option #2.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:55 AM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
Re: Clear smoke?

Originally posted by Mike T.
You mean steam? White smoke?

If that's what it is, it most likely is one of the following things:

1) water condensation in your exhaust system that collects overnight (if you park outside) vaporising as the exhaust warms up, in which case the steam should disappear after maybe 10 minutes' driving;

2) a leaking head gasket which is allowing coolant into one or more cylinders and then it's being vaporised and coming out the exhaust pipe. Based on your description, it sounds like this is the more likely scenario, unfortunately.

You should have your dealer do a pressure test on the cooling system. After it's pumped up, the air pressure should remain constant for 5 minutes or more. If not, there's a leak, likely in the head gasket, considering the steam in the exhaust.

Changing the oil will not in any way affect the amount of smoke/steam coming out of the exhaust.
Thanks Mike for the info...I'm taking it in to get looked at.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:23 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
If your engine takes in coolant water, you can normally see this on the oil. It will look "milky".