Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help. Radiator hose problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help. Radiator hose problem

Hi guys,

Got a 98 Clk320 and when driving home yesterday, the "Coolant level" error shows up on the display. I noticed the temperature starting to climb beyond the normal operating temp so I pulled over.

I opened the hood and there was coolant all over the place. It looks like the upper radiator hose was torn near the radiator.

How hard is it to replace this hose? Do you I need to do anything special or require any special tools? I'm assuming I just replace the hose, buy coolant from the dealer, and put in a 50-50 mixture of coolant and water.

Am I missing anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
J
Old 08-10-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its a formed hose get an MB hose. If the top ones gone the rest are likely to be not far behind. Replace them all, use new correct clamps and the correct coolant.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and the recommendations. It seems easy enough to change the upper hose. Hopefully the lower hose is as well. Do I have to remove the radiator in order to gain access?

I hope the engine is OK. The temp reached all the way to the top but I shut off the car and haven't turned it on since.

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Not that familiar with your car but its unlikely that you have to remove the radiator. Access may be difficult for some of the hoses. Be certain to change them all. There may be some that you can't see or that you do not know that are there. Perhaps it would be beneficial to look at a parts breakdown picture.

As for the overheat, your engine has lots of aluminum and that does not react well to an overheat. Its a crap shoot and you really do not know untill you get it running again. Remember, the engine atually gets hotter after you shut it off. Good luck!!