Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long crank times after car sits 2005 E500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long crank times after car sits 2005 E500

I have a 2005 E500 I purchased in June.
If I let the car sit for a week (which happens about once a month), when I go to restart it, the engine will crank for an extended amount of time before it fires.
Usually 8-10 seconds.
Once it's been run, it will fire up in an acceptable amount of time on the next restart (as long as you don't let it sit for days).

I haven't taken the car in for my 1st (and only) free service visit yet. Has 1500 miles on the odometer.
Is there a TSB or anything on this? Common?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:55 PM

'91 190E 2.6L
Sounds like a bad battery take it to an auto parts store and have them test it. My fathers s500 needed a new battery after 6 months (in Arizona). It ran better with the new battery as well. If you have a pocket tester (volt meter) you can check the charge while it is running and charged, then turn it off and test it while full, test it the next day before starting to see if the charge went down. Or call MB and raise hell for buying a $60k that wont start. Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Don't think it's the battery as it cranks fine.
Seems more like over time it loses fuel pressure and it takes a bit to get it back up so the injectors have proper working pressure.
My V8 Jeep had a similar problem with some o-ring in the fuel module causing fuel to leak back into the tank at the oputput of the fuel pump... or soemthing like that. Let it sit for awhile.. long crank times. Cycle the key 4 or 5 times even after sitting for awhile it would fire right up.
Not sure how to do that with the E500 as the starter system doesn't work like a 'normal' car.
Probably taking the thing in next week.. was just curious if anyone else had this problem.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML 320, 2003 CBR600F4i, 99 Eclipse GSX
You would be correct in assuming it is a fuel pressure problem. It will be covered under warranty so just bring it in and have it fixed.