Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Shuts Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDi
Car Shuts Down

I posted this in the W211 forum yesterday but thought I could try the tech forum as well.

This has never happened to the car before but it happened twice today.

As I was slowing down, the car suddenly shut down. When it happened, the power steering was gone and the brakes became hard as the servo does not work any more. I had to put the gear on park before turning the car back on.

This is worrying. I will contact MB on Tuesday (closed this Monday) but I still need to drive the car in the meantime.

Happened to you before? Anyone has any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:58 PM

'91 190E 2.6L
What did it down right before it shut off? Did the dash lights/radio etc. go out or just the power options? Was it sluggish at all before it died?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Interesting problem

Interesting problem. The loss of brakes and steering make sense, if the engine shuts down. I agree with azmoto... was there any other indicators, electrically? The act of slowing down - especially quickly - can cause things to shift/move forward. Does the engine sputter or hesitate; or does it simply "die" and stop running. (I'll assume the engine doesn't "lock-up".) Having to put the car in Park before restarting, I'll assume, is to allow you to turn the key off, then back to on. Yes, curious problem. Please elaborate.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:40 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Check wiring harness!

under the A/C unit inside the car. Apparently a common problem due to chafing; this according to my wrench buddy who had done about (5) 211s like this before I sent my brother in law with a E400 suffering the same dangerous malady. Not cheap, I think the harness was around $400. Hasn't stalled since.