Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Timing adjuster?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
Cam Timing adjuster?????

posted this in the w124 forum.. but no help yet.....

several months back (march) i got my head gaskets replaced and ever since the car has been making whinning noises upon acceleration... approx 2K - 3K rpms (20mph to 40 mph)... and pretty much constant when ever i hit the gas when im cruising at 70-80 mph on the highway....

for some reason i didnt think much of it.... i thought it just may need an oil change... i took the car to a indep mb mechanic and he said that the cam timing adjuster was not timed properly...

so... before i call my SA at the dealership i want to try to find info on this? ive done a search and nothing has come up...... any of you have any insite on this?

-Thanks
charles

update... cars going to the dealer thursday or friday......

Last edited by ML55CLA45; 08-31-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
If you are truly getting 20K-30K RPM's, then the whining noise is the engine ready to explode... (that would be 20,000 to 30,000 RPM - over twice the RPM of Formula OneIf you are truly getting 20K-30K RPM's, then the whining noise is the engine ready to explode... (that would be 20,000 to 30,000 RPM - over twice the RPM of Formula One engines!) Seriously, I think you meant the whining noise occurred between 2,000 - 3,000 RPM (2K to 3K).

The term "whining noise" can have different meanings to different people. Is it possible the whining noise that you hear now is in reality a well-tuned diesel engine? After the head gasket work, I would hope the place that did the work gave the engine a good tune.

My current MB Project is a ’79 240D, and it has a distinct “whine” at freeway speeds. It’s an engine sound, but the “noise” (if you can call it that) sounds like a high-speed sewing machine. Sometimes people as a problem mistake it, when in reality it’s just a well-tuned car.

You also relate the sound to vehicle speed. Is it possible that, purely coincidentally, something has occurred to the rear end, and the “whine” is really gearing/bearing in the rear axle? Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

The only experience I had with a Timing Chain Tensioner was in a ’88 450SEL – the unit disintegrated, threw the engine timing off, requiring an upper end engine repair. However, to my recollection, there was no precursor noise. Also, that was a gasoline engine, not diesel.

If the Cam Timing Adjuster were misadjusted, I would think overall engine performance would suffer. More likely (I surmise) there is a slight misadjustment in the alignment of the Timing Chain. Or perhaps the Timing Chain developed a small kink. Either way, I would have it looked at pronto… unless the “whining” sound is really what you’re engine is supposed to sound like.

Of course, I cannot see, hear, touch or taste your car, so I’m really just talking off the cuff, based on the information you wrote. Regardless, let me know what happens – I’m interested in the results. Good luck!
engines.) Seriosly, I think you meant the whining noise occurred between 2,000 - 3,000 RPM (2K to 3K).

The term "whining noise" can have different meanings to different people. Is it possible the whining noise that you hear now is in reality a well-tuned diesel engine?
Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MB-Dude
If you are truly getting 2K-3K RPM's, then the whining noise is the engine ready to explode... (that would be 20,000 to 30,000 RPM - over twice the RPM of Formula OneIf you are truly getting 20K-30K RPM's, then the whining noise is the engine ready to explode... (that would be 20,000 to 30,000 RPM - over twice the RPM of Formula One engines!) Seriously, I think you meant the whining noise occurred between 2,000 - 3,000 RPM (2K to 3K).

The term "whining noise" can have different meanings to different people. Is it possible the whining noise that you hear now is in reality a well-tuned diesel engine? After the head gasket work, I would hope the place that did the work gave the engine a good tune.

My current MB Project is a ’79 240D, and it has a distinct “whine” at freeway speeds. It’s an engine sound, but the “noise” (if you can call it that) sounds like a high-speed sewing machine. Sometimes people as a problem mistake it, when in reality it’s just a well-tuned car.

You also relate the sound to vehicle speed. Is it possible that, purely coincidentally, something has occurred to the rear end, and the “whine” is really gearing/bearing in the rear axle? Probably not, but the thought crossed my mind.

The only experience I had with a Timing Chain Tensioner was in a ’88 450SEL – the unit disintegrated, threw the engine timing off, requiring an upper end engine repair. However, to my recollection, there was no precursor noise. Also, that was a gasoline engine, not diesel.

If the Cam Timing Adjuster were misadjusted, I would think overall engine performance would suffer. More likely (I surmise) there is a slight misadjustment in the alignment of the Timing Chain. Or perhaps the Timing Chain developed a small kink. Either way, I would have it looked at pronto… unless the “whining” sound is really what you’re engine is supposed to sound like.

Of course, I cannot see, hear, touch or taste your car, so I’m really just talking off the cuff, based on the information you wrote. Regardless, let me know what happens – I’m interested in the results. Good luck!
engines.) Seriosly, I think you meant the whining noise occurred between 2,000 - 3,000 RPM (2K to 3K).

The term "whining noise" can have different meanings to different people. Is it possible the whining noise that you hear now is in reality a well-tuned diesel engine?

yeah.... you are correct... it is a typo and i will correct it.. 2k-3k rpms.... (you did make your point by correcting me.. once... a second.. third and 4th time) and thank you for your reply.....

and no.. the engine is not a diesel... it is a w124 e320...... i dont think it was any of your previously mention suggestions with the exclusion of the timing chain issues.....

owned the car since new and have never heard this sound before... sound popped up after the head gaskets were all replaced......

i guess the question i have is... assuming that the timing chain is missadjusted.... or cam timing adjuster is miss timed...... is the correlation of either of the two previously suggested items highly related to a head gasket repair........ in other words could it be something that the dealer did incorrectly when doing my head gasket job?

or are either of the two issues something that can just all of a sudden go wrong in a 94 e320 with 80k miles.

so... if either of the two issues are something that do not go wrong.. unless tampered with (as in head gasket repair).... i just want to be educated enough if my dealer tells me that "they did nothing wrong"... and will not be held liable for the repairs.....

The car is going in later this week for an oil change as well as to be looked at... i just want to get all the info i can in regards to these issues...

i hope this makes sense... and thank you for your reply

-charles
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Noise....

If the noise wasn't there before you had the work done, and you noticed it as soon as you drove the car, then a correct and valid assumption is was directly caused by the repair. I'm not saying they did something wrong, although they could have. They also may not have replaced a worn part that didn't manifest the noise until after the repair. Tell them what you just posted except the part about going to an independent mechanic...unless they balk at fixing it for free or proving it was something they didn't disturb. Also... can't think of one noise problem that could be caused by needing an oil change.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
If the noise wasn't there before you had the work done, and you noticed it as soon as you drove the car, then a correct and valid assumption is was directly caused by the repair. I'm not saying they did something wrong, although they could have. They also may not have replaced a worn part that didn't manifest the noise until after the repair. Tell them what you just posted except the part about going to an independent mechanic...unless they balk at fixing it for free or proving it was something they didn't disturb. Also... can't think of one noise problem that could be caused by needing an oil change.

as far as me not thinking anything of the noise.... and it could need an oil change... i dont know... ill be the first to admit that with cars... i have no clue.... ask me anything about the human body... or a diesease pathology... ill have a better idea....

i going to go ahead and assume that the problem was caused by the mechanic... reason being... i have also been having cooling problems with the car... temp running close to 120.... when i had my heads replaced... i also had my radiator replaced.... well it turns out that the mechanic that did the heads did the radiator.... and he frecking installed my aux fans wrong... leading to my cooling problems... he installed the fans blowing out... away from the engine.... as opposed to in towards the engine.... so if they try to get out of liability... i have another documented problem that the same mechanic did... on the same car... the same day...

-thanks
charles