Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!Problems with 97SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2002 | 10:27 PM

300HP TURBO GSXR
Help!!Problems with 97SL500

I'm having some problems with my 97 SL500. 1st problem the Top does not want to come up all the way and it stops half way. To get it down I have to keep pushing the button rapidly. Second I put the hard top on and it wont grab and lock it into place. Third problem the vents that blow air at my face will not come on
only defrost and floor and fourthly the passenger window wont adjust it self automatically when you close the door thus catching on the moulding and causing the door not too close properly. These problems all seem to have occured after someone boosted the car when the battery was dead.I've been told that the Benz dealer has to reset the computer to get evevrything to work properly again. Is this true ? They want to charge me $140.00 to do this. Any one who could help me on this one it would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance....
Old 07-11-2002 | 12:50 PM

CLK 320
I am not sure about an SL but for a CLK to reset the computer you just have to disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight. I am not sure what other repercussions you might have from disconnecting the battery. With the CLK some people recommend doing this after breakin so that you can drive more aggresively and get the adaptive transmission set a little better. I would wait for a tech's opinion though.
Old 07-11-2002 | 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Jay97
...These problems all seem to have occured after someone boosted the car when the battery was dead.I've been told that the Benz dealer has to reset the computer to get evevrything to work properly again. Is this true ? They want to charge me $140.00 to do this...
How did you "boost" the battery? Did all these problems occur directly after "boosting"? Was it with another battery, was it 12V? Were sparks produced while connecting,...?
Many of the ECU's in these cars are short circuit protected. They shut themselves off and work again after being disconnected for a while.I do not think that "resetting the computer" will fix these problems. $140.00 for "resetting" seems a bit expensive too.

Originally posted by bmac002
...but for a CLK to reset the computer you just have to disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight. I am not sure what other repercussions you might have from disconnecting the battery. With the CLK some people recommend doing this after breakin so that you can drive more aggresively and get the adaptive transmission set a little better...
The only thing that happens is that window programming is gone. All the rest is BS.
If you want to "reset" adaptive transmission you have to reset all adaptation values with the Star Diagnosis laptop. But Why? The transmission will only work again at its best after all adaptations have been set again in accordance to the actual state of the mechanical parts of the transmission. So wiping these values is not a good thing.
Patrick
Old 07-11-2002 | 06:26 PM

300HP TURBO GSXR
The car was boosted just by 12 volt battery no sparks nothing just like boosting any other car. It seems after the boost things started to act up. Although I have not taken the Hard top off for the past 2 months maybe something else is acting up with the top problem. The top comes up half way and then just stops and will not go down unless you tap the button repeatedly for about a minute and you an see it slowly going down. When you put the Hard top on it will not lock it in it just makes a clicking sound like its tryin but not grabbing.