Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Temperature Readout Needs Illuminating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Outside Temperature Readout Needs Illuminating

I've had this problem on a *pair* of '94 MB's...

In the dashboard of either a '94 S320 or SL500, there is the Outside Temperature Readout. It's (of course) digital and sits in the center/bottom of the dashboard. Normally, this readout displays digits in a light orange color. The readout has suddenly dimmed to a barely perceivable level. The intensity of the digits is the same, whether in daylight or night; headlights on or off. If you look carefully, you can see that the temperature is displayed - and it's accurate - just very dim; almost dark.

Being a technical guy, my curiosity was aroused and I took the dash out and removed the readout display box. Inside, there is a very small light bulb directly behind the digital display. With the readout display box out of the dash, I can not tell if the bulb is good. But it appears the bulb is what makes the digits "bright". The bulb is soldered in place and is NOT a standard replaceable item.

Question - Has anyone ever replaced this bulb, and if so, what are the basic specifications for the bulb?

Considering the readout is displaying the correct temperature, just dimly, I really do not want to pay MB the ridiculously high price for replacing the display, if it is reading out correctly.