Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water entering car - Now SRS warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Water entering car - Now SRS warning

Hi all

At the weekend, here in the UK we had some bad weather (thunder storms and heavy rain). I parked my S Class round a mates house but half on the kerb, with the near side of the car in the road. I noticed when leaving my mates house late at night, that his road had floaded with water but only say 3-4 inches, no higher than the kerb itself.

Since then, my SRS red warning light has come on and stayed on, so I checked out the various points to look for, airbags, seat belt tensioners and underneath the front passenger seat to check for the most reported cause (the baby seat sensor etc).

Upon getting on my hands and knees looking under the front passenger seat I noticed that the carpet was soaked (but not the mats, only underneath where they touch the carpet), this is also the case in the rear passenger carpet area of the car. Basically the side of the car that was is the road, is soaked.

My theory is that the water was 3-4 inches deep and kept rising everytime a car passed, causing the water to rise above the seal benath the door and thus seeping into the car, hence why nothing else is wet but the carpets.

This also is why I think the SRS warning light has come on, due to the sensor being soaked?

I have the car booked for a valet which will use a VAX style vacuum cleaner to draw the wet up and then dry.

Anyone with any ideas on the SRS problem or indeed if my theorys are correct would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

S500 Obsidian Black

SL320 Silver - SOLD
Old 09-14-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
Update

I have looked over the car and found the bonnet vent drain area was blocked. This must have caused the water to rise over the container under the bonnet and flood past the rear of the engine into any little gap it could find.

I have been told, it most likely would have come through the footwell vents in the front and rear, which would explain the water in the particular areas only!

I have got a valeter coming Saturday and hopefully when things dry off properly, my SRS warning might sort itself out?

My lesson from this is, always check the status of the drain at the bottom of the bonnet vent drain area, mine was clogged up with black yucky stuff from years ago.., along with small bits of twigs n leaves.

Fingers crossed...