Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio installation causing service engine light. Please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 ML55 and 00 E55
Radio installation causing service engine light. Please help!!

I had an after market Alpine radio with navigation installed in my 2000 E55 at a local audio video shop. After it was installed, the service engine light came on. My car was fine before I took it in. It has 35k miles. I took the car to Mercedes repair facility to reset the code. When they hook up the computer, at least 10 different codes regarding electrical system came up. The mechanic thinks that there's a loose or unplugged wire somewhere. They try to reset it and it was unsuccessful. Has this happened to anyone else. If so, how was it resolve and what should I look for that possibly caused this.

thank you
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
You should not have to look at it at all. I would take it back to the audio shop and toss it in their lap!! They screwed it up. Have them take it to your dealer if they can't fix it and of course have them pick up the tab. I can't even fathom the number of problems caused by independent audio shops that get involved with stuff they know nothing about. I would never consider having one of them install anything. maybe this will be a lesson for you, use the factory systems and not some aftermarket thing
Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
They need to be careful of what they are splicing into and actually look on a wiring diagram. Unfortunately, they probably just use a test light and tap into anything that lights up..... which is bad.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:15 AM
X72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honda Accord
nopiep, I learned the hard way the same as you are learning now. It was with a 2000 E320 I had previous to my current car. Hopefully, the audio shop will make ammends because they have good insurance. It is also possible that you will have to take them to small claims court if you want to recover the cost of repairing your car. I ate the $500 it cost me to get things fixed. You probably need to give the audio shop a chance to fix things. Keep good records.

I post here as a warning to others to be extremely careful with modifying your car.

Preparing for court is probably the best way to avoid having to go to court. Of course, my disclaimer is that you should not rely on me or anyone posting here for legal advice and you should consult an attorney.
William
2003 E320
Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by nopiep
I had an after market Alpine radio with navigation installed in my 2000 E55 at a local audio video shop. After it was installed, the service engine light came on. My car was fine before I took it in. It has 35k miles. I took the car to Mercedes repair facility to reset the code. When they hook up the computer, at least 10 different codes regarding electrical system came up. The mechanic thinks that there's a loose or unplugged wire somewhere. They try to reset it and it was unsuccessful. Has this happened to anyone else. If so, how was it resolve and what should I look for that possibly caused this.

thank you
There is one famous incident in Australia (well its more famous now) when an audio shop connected the speakers to the airbag system so when they powered up they set off several of the cars airbags ........

dooof dooof BANG

One of the installers was sitting in the drivers seat and the airbag broke his nose (obviously was far too close to the steering wheel).

When it isnt Mercedes then you just have to take what you can find.