Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBtech -vibration - "they all do that?"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 09:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 4Matic
MBtech -vibration - "they all do that?"

MBtech- I need advice from an experienced professional who has test driven hundreds of MB's. I have a mild but constant vibration in my E320 4Matic (2000 w/8k mi) which I have discussed elsewhere on other sites. It is worse at 36 and 70 mph. Car was bought with 5k mi on it. Previous owner told me it was out of balance and he said that dealer did a lousy balance job. It is probably tire/wheel related but some have posted that they have had success with shock or bushing replacement. Mounted my spare tire rubber on suspect wheel and problem persists. Had suspect wheel and tire balanced on Hunter and result was "10". My biggest and latest concern is that my service manager (at a very reputable dealer North of Boston) said, "very many 4Matics vibrate at 36mph" and we may not be able to fix it." I mentioned that any salesperson I spoke with at this or other dealerships have said that the ride for a 4wd should be the same as a 2wd.
My questions are: [1] Is is true that "they all do that?" Is it true that a 4Matic should ride like a mildly out of balance car? [2] Any other possibilities other that wheels/tires. [3]Is it customary for owner to pay for diagnosis, wheel balancing, etc to find the source of the problem. Service implied that it might be expensive for me to investigate source. You response is appreciated.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Are you dealing with Flagship motorcars (Herb Chambers)? If so they are terrible, go to Clair Motors in west roxbury, I have never paid for any diagnostic charges there and they always have good service. Talk to Nick or John for service there.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Working in sunny Southern California, 4Matic-equipped cars are understandably rare. I have only driven 2 4Matic E-classes. I did not notice a vibration on either one of them, nor have I heard of any vibration being normal on these cars. It's possible that one of the driveshafts are out of balance. But I'm leaning more towards a wheel or tire out of balance. It is not customary for the owner to pay for any kind of diagnosing while the car is still under warranty. Unless the cause of the vibration is something that you did (hit a pothole, bent a rim), whatever is causing your vibration should be covered under the new-car warranty. Sorry I can't help you more.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
No, not Flagship

AlBoston wrote "Are you dealing with Flagship motorcars (Herb Chambers)? If so they are terrible.." Everyone said the same thing and three friends went out of their way to tell me to find another dealer based on their past negative experiences. I have no personal experience with them. I did just have a good experience with Herb Chambers other Mercedes dealership in Somerville, MA. which has a better reputation. When I called this morning to disuss the problem they said that no, they do not "all do that" and that they have not heard complaints about the 4wd vibrating more than the 2wd. They will test the drive shaft alignment next week which is what MBtech208 suggested in his post today. They offered to have me come in and road test the car immmediately if I would like. And yes, diagnostics is covered by warrantee as you mentioned. Thank you for your response.

Last edited by DrNick; 12-10-2001 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Thank you MBtech208

How silly of me. Of course you would not have too many 4Matics in sunny California. In fact I have driven in a convertible with the top down only two or three times in my life. Boston can be cold in the winter! Seriously though, thank you for your response. I tried a new dealer today (see my earlier post today) and went in for a consultation. They said what you said and will work on the car next week. I have enjoyed reading your very informative posts and appreciate all the time that you have devoted to this forum. I checked your profile and have one question. If it correct that you are only 20 years old, how have you gained so much knowledge with regard to Mercedes, etc in such a short career? My compliments.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Trust me, Herb Chambers is a scam, Clair is very courteous and 99% of the time finds and fixes the problem.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 E320 4Matic
Thanks for the heads up. What about...

AlBoston - What about Smith Motors in Haverhill, MA? People around here seem to like them. Or Holloway in New Hampshire. Any feedback on them? It is way out of my way but I will try Clair if this doesn't work, but I heard that Chambers in Somerville is not like Flagship. Is that wrong??