Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

380 problems, help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
380 problems, help please

my 1985 380 se idles very fast (1800 rpms). any advice on what could be wrong? Also, about every 10-15 minutes, a huge cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipe. Merceds dealer kept it for several weeks and finally gave it back to me unfixed. They checked the trans vacuum but no help. They did a complete valve job on it a year earlier, and I'm wondering if they are coveering up a bad valve.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Jim LaFevers
my 1985 380 se idles very fast (1800 rpms). any advice on what could be wrong? Also, about every 10-15 minutes, a huge cloud of white smoke comes out the tail pipe. Merceds dealer kept it for several weeks and finally gave it back to me unfixed. They checked the trans vacuum but no help. They did a complete valve job on it a year earlier, and I'm wondering if they are coveering up a bad valve.
I'd probably take it to an independent and reputable mechanic (I know hard to find one). I've found that most dealers are so used to replacing parts rather than fixing problems that they aren't good sources for diagnostic help. Just my 02.

I finally found a good mechanic I can trust that I let him handle all my families non-warranty repair and unscheduled oil changes. You can't believe the amount of crap that dealer mechanics try to get away with...good luck.