Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500SEL Not Starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SEL Not Starting

Hello, My name is Cliff and I'm a new forum member. Have always loved the lines and durability of Mercedes cars. My wife and I currently have an 1986 Euro model 300SL. In excellent condition, only 65K original miles and a blast to drive. Rides and handles better than her Cadillac.

I have always wanted a big S class sedan. Well, against the voice of reason (her name is Sheryl) I've have located an '83 euro model 500SEL. I'm going this weekend to look at and probably purchase. The car has many problems both known and unknown to me, but the most pressing at the moment is that it won't start. Until recently it is said to have started and ran fine, so I'm assuming this might be a starter related problem. Naturally, I'll check the battery, battery connections, fuses, current draw. Whether or not I can get it started is not the deciding factor to purchase or not; the condition of the body is.

Just looking for other advice on things to look for that I haven't thought of.

Thanks,
Cliff