Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 Mercedes won't start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Mercedes won't start up

I am having trouble with my 1985 Mercedes 190E 2.3L, automatic transmission. This car has 197,258K miles on it. The car has been repaired recently back in August because the 190E had a very rough idle and one day the car would stall on me. My neighbor is a mechanic but he does not specialize in repairing Mercedes benz. He inspected the car and said the all the fuel injection parts had to be replaced, because they were either failed or faulty. The parts that he replaced were the airflow sensor (carburetor basically), the fuel distributor, and fuel pressure regulator. He got the parts from a junkyard because all those parts would cost a fortune if I bought them new aftermarket. To purchase those parts I was looking at paying about $1500 dollars. My neighbor found the parts at a junkyard and uninstalled them from a 1984 mercedes 190E. He installed the parts and my mercedes no longer had a rough idle and would not stall anymore. I drove the car for about one day and it ran fine. The next day the car doesn't start up! The problem I am having is that my Mercedes won't start up. The car will crank and crank but won't turn over. If I do get it to turn over it will shut off immediately. I think that the fuel pump has failed and needs to be replaced. I have also noticed that the car is leaking fuel I not sure from where but it seems to be coming from either the fuel line or the catalytic converter. I don't know if the fuel leak is affecting the way the car starts up. Since the car has incorrect parts from a 1984 mercedes 190E, that is what is causing this problem, but I’m not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by mexalik; 11-09-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Shoot it, bury it, put it out of its misery