Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lid Stuck Closed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 CLK55 and Hummer H2
Trunk Lid Stuck Closed

Here's the problem. I have an '01 CLK430 and I closed my trunk and I think the strap of my golf bag or something is stuck in there and I can't get the trunk to open. I tried the following:
1) Key Fob - Nothing
2) Center Console release - Nothing (and the red light is not on; indicating closed)
3) Pushing the button on the trunk lid - Nothing
3) The Key from the KeyFob in the trunk - I think something is jammed. The key will only go in half way and I've been puching on it like hell.

I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get this open. Is there a manual release for the trunk somewhere else?
Is there a way for me to release the rear fold down seats so I at least can shine a flashlight in there and see if something is stuck.

I really need to get some other things from my trunk..any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by waterford5301
Here's the problem. I have an '01 CLK430 and I closed my trunk and I think the strap of my golf bag or something is stuck in there and I can't get the trunk to open. I tried the following:
1) Key Fob - Nothing
2) Center Console release - Nothing (and the red light is not on; indicating closed)
3) Pushing the button on the trunk lid - Nothing
3) The Key from the KeyFob in the trunk - I think something is jammed. The key will only go in half way and I've been puching on it like hell.

I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get this open. Is there a manual release for the trunk somewhere else?
Is there a way for me to release the rear fold down seats so I at least can shine a flashlight in there and see if something is stuck.

I really need to get some other things from my trunk..any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Push down on the trunk lid to compress anything that is wedging the lid apart from the car. This will release some of the pressure and allow the latch to spring open. Dont assume that there is one ideal location to press down. It may be middle or on the side.

WATCH THE PAINT AND BODYWORK.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Don't do anything! What a spendid reason to tell your wife why you bought a new set of clubs!

Benzmodz gave good asvice.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:02 PM

'02 CLK55 and Hummer H2
I've been out of town since my post (without my clubs this time) and I haven't been able to try to get back in the trunk. I'll try as soon as I get home. Does anyone think I could get to the rear seat release lever from the ski bag between the rear seats. If I can reach in the trunk from the ski bag, do you think I can reach in and release the rear seats so I can crawl into the trunk? Any ideas?
Thanks to evey who has responded.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM

'02 CLK55 and Hummer H2
I finally got in the truck this weekend. I had to take out the rear seats to gain access to the trunk. I think what happened was that the locking mechanism was loose and for some unknown reason it would not open at all. I had to gain access tothe trunk then unscrew the trunk latch so the trunk would open. Once the trunk was open I took apart the lock and put it back together and it was working fine. I don't know what the exact problem was but it is working again. I gained access to trunk by removing the rear seat bench, then unscrewing the rear sear back arm cushions. This gave me just enouth room to rach in and pull on the rear seat release and pop the rear seat backs open.