Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 CLK 430 - StarTAC Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 - StarTAC Phone

My wife bought a used 2000 CLK 430 that had the StarTAC system installed. Got a StarTAC TDMA phone and activated it with Beyond Wireless. This is my problem: When I plug it in, the phone seems to recognize the car, i.e. it starts charging. However, the car does not seem to recognize the phone: it keeps telling me "Stand By" / "No Phone". Is there a setting I need to set on the phone or on the car? I tried a second StarTAC phone, and see the same! Any ideas?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Max
Old 11-18-2005, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
To have it integrated with the vehicle it must be an MB phone made by Motorola. Otherwise you are out of luck. I do have a MB Timeport (Motorola) that I removed from my 02 ML500 when I traded for my 06 ML500. I will sell it if you are interested. Its in excellent shape and comes with the charger, belt clip, spare battery and the manual. It is a TDMA and was used with Cingular. Check with your MB dealer to confirm compatability. You may have to purchase a new cradle if you do not have the correct one PM me if you have an interest. I purchased a new MB GSM phone for my 06 as the 06 is not compatable with the Timeport. Original cost of the Timeport set up for the 02 was around $2000.00
Old 11-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the offer! The phone is an MB phone - and so was the other one I tried. I am wondering now whether there is something that is not configured correctly with the car?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I think your MB dealer may have to "activate" whatever phone you use, assuming it is an MB phone. I have a StarTac in my car, but it is such old technology I upgraded to a V3 Razr, GSM, which does not work in the car. Now, if I want a car phone, I will have to add another Cingular line and number. Don't know if it is worth it, since my Razr works fine in the car. It just will not run through the car sound system or use the voice recognition system. I even checked w/ Mikbox to see if they have anything I can use, but they don't. The whole thing is a royal pain in the ***.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by mboedder
Thanks for the offer! The phone is an MB phone - and so was the other one I tried. I am wondering now whether there is something that is not configured correctly with the car?
I wiuld follow the advice already given here. Go to the dealer and have him check for activation of the correct phone. If that does not work have him check out the system and confirm that the wiring is in tact and the the other black boxes are in fact working correctly.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the solution?

I have the exact same scenerio. I bought a ised CLK430 without a phone installed, then bouight the entire original startac phone system on ebay, installed it and nothing..... dash controls say there is no phone installed.