Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 clk55 amg vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
2002 clk55 amg vibration

model: 2002 clk55 amg
mileage: 65,000 miles

Hey all,
I am new to this forum, and I have joined because of a problem. I have a 2002 clk55 amg which I love. I took it to the local dealership a month and a half ago for the A service. While being serviced, the had to replace the driveshaft flex disc, rear differential seal, oil pan seal, and the front brakes and rotors. On my way home from the dealership I noticed a fair vibration in the steering wheel at about 40 mph. The vibration lasts through to about 48mph. I replaced the front tires because they were worn and the problem persisted. I took it back to the dealership and they said that the vibration was because the tires were out of balance. I picked the car up the other day and there is still a vibration. Any ideas? There is only one Mercedes dealership in this area and I am getting tired of taking my car back there. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by witeslax; 01-07-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:59 PM

2000 E55
I am up here in Huntsville and am on my second E55. I just resolved a vibration that occured at similar speeds and was only when off the accelerator pedal. I replaced countless things myself and finally took to dealer and he loosened the exhaust, "de-tensioned" as was on bill, and that took care of it. More specifics as to your problem would help.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
It seems repairs created the problem, front or rear flex disc? if front could have changed position of the rear transmission support or remotely put the coupling in backwards (it is possible) this is where I would look
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
i would be looking at checking the transmission mount/driveline/etc... where the work was performed. Or perhaps the driveshaft was somehow seperated at the carrier bearing... shouldnt have been though.

Hey Karl, do you have emil jellinek's number?? Been tryin to get a hold of him...
Old 01-27-2006, 07:09 PM

2002 CLK55
Witeslax: The first thing I would try is removing the wheels and hand torquing the lugs back on. I have had 1 or 2 buddys that had the same problem after a trip to the dealership. After removal and reinstall the problem somehow went away. Perhaps the wheel could gone in slightly crooked (if that is possible) or over torqued from the air tools. Just my .02. Good Luck.