Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage 1975 280C Driveability Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006 | 07:13 AM

2000 E55
Vintage 1975 280C Driveability Question

I just acquired a 1975 280C. The plumbing (vacuum lines) is mostly inoperable and unsure if the switch over valves, vacuum booster, etc. work at this point. It has the solex 4 barrel. Has anyone retro fitted a holley carb on the 2.8l engine? My desire right now is to be able to start up and run with reliability. It currently will not idle good. It looks like most of the vacuum lines that go to the solex have been capped and would probably run better with the egr operational. Would bypassing the egr and replacing the carb work/ cause any problems and retain important vacuum connections (brake booster, door locks)?
Old 01-31-2006 | 07:23 AM

Mitsubishi Outlander 2012 AWD
Cut alot of my eye teeth on the 280C well yes a Holley would work but the solex 4a1 is not a bad carb but just needs tlc cappingn egr can help especially with that thermo reactor on the manifold that creates so much heat an rochester gm carb can work as well
Old 08-09-2009 | 08:28 PM

1976 280C
Carb

Hey, folks, brand new member here, in fact this is my first post! Just bought a 1976 280C on eBay. Haven't picked it up yet, (next weekend), and stumbled upon this forum while trying to anticipate troubles. Seller says carb. was rebuilt, and a new transmission put in, too. Wondering if these two are usual problems? Hope I didn't buy a dog. Any reassurance would be most welcome.

Any words of wisdom about this car? Looking forward to participating in this group!

Thanks,

Randall in Oregon
Old 08-11-2009 | 12:00 PM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Originally Posted by randooch
Hey, folks, brand new member here, in fact this is my first post! Just bought a 1976 280C on eBay. Haven't picked it up yet, (next weekend), and stumbled upon this forum while trying to anticipate troubles. Seller says carb. was rebuilt, and a new transmission put in, too. Wondering if these two are usual problems? Hope I didn't buy a dog. Any reassurance would be most welcome.

Any words of wisdom about this car? Looking forward to participating in this group!

Thanks,

Randall in Oregon

I have a 73 280c not on the road.

Great cars.
A little rusty but what wasn't from back than.