Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery draining problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P.O.S. silver 2002 C320 sedan w/ every useless option
battery draining problem

I have a 2002 C320 sedan.

I have a battery draining problem. I had a similar problem a few years back under warranty and they told me it was the seat and they fixed it. Now, the problem is back but not under warranty. I checked all the fuses and I couldn't find anything with significant drain. I removed the fuse that powers the seat also, and that still has not prevented the battery from dying over night. If anyone knows how to check the seat, and what to check/replace, any help would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Check all obvious items such as the glove box light. For the seat to do it would be odd. Pull the bulb out of the glove box light and try that. Also be certain that the interior lights are shutting off and the trunk/hood lights.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by Smoothy
I have a 2002 C320 sedan.

I have a battery draining problem. I had a similar problem a few years back under warranty and they told me it was the seat and they fixed it. Now, the problem is back but not under warranty. I checked all the fuses and I couldn't find anything with significant drain. I removed the fuse that powers the seat also, and that still has not prevented the battery from dying over night. If anyone knows how to check the seat, and what to check/replace, any help would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem?
What fuse for the seat? Where and how many amps was it?

I'll make it easy on you. Tilt up the front of both the passenger and driver seat.. make sure the battery is good and charged. Now look for the connectors that plug into the control units under the seats..You should be looking under the seat bottom from the front. Disconnect them at both front seats. Now let it sit overnight and see what happens. When was the last part replaced?

Check the part numbers of the seat control units... If they are the latest and greatest they should begin with 211 something... a 203 part number is no good.

If the draw goes away, try just disconnect the passenge side and see what happens. The seat control unit causes this by an internal fault and keeping the can bus active. If both are faulty, you could see about a 1.1 amp draw. Normally, you should be looking at 25-60mA depending on the car and options.

Afterward, contact me for my paypal addy. :p
Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those seat control modules have been known to cause this
Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
Not to open un an old wound, thread but I am having this problem now. I have checked under the seats, but it is really hard to see any part numbers. The only number I CAN see are on the SEAT MECHANISM, which say 203, but that is of course the model number for this C-class.

the Black box control units under the seats, don't have any part numbers, least not ones that are visible from the front or back. I've disconnected the two major molex plugs on the passenger seat, trying to see if the car will start tomorrow AM. It is off the dealer for me I guess.